The new penn fathom 40nld2

Started by alantani, April 20, 2023, 05:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

This fathom 40nld2 is rigged with 460 yards of 80 pound Jerry Brown solid patriot and 10 yards of 60 pound fluoro.  The drag profile is very nice. There is no cam modification here. The way I set it up, the drag  jumps from zero, straight up to 8 pounds,  then a nice, smooth progression from 10 pounds to 20 at strike.  Then it takes a big jump from 20 at strike to 40 at full. I would rather see 30 pounds of drag at full,  but this will work, just as long as you are aware that full is 66%, not 50%. Overall,  very nice reel.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Nice, Alan —-

You are the benchmark for setting up these reels properly for maximum efficiency and effectiveness.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

steelfish

Alan how did you feel the handle when setting the lever pass the 20# on strike?
any binding on the handle at 25# or 30# or the full 40#

I sold my 1st gen fathom 40LD2 because it had a binding problem once you get on the 20# mark or more.
The Baja Guy

Keta

The only second generation Fathom I have is a FTHII10XNLD, I like so far.  It is the same size as a ABU 5600.  If I get more work soon I am considering a FTHII40NLD2.  I wish it came in XN.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

Quote from: steelfish on April 20, 2023, 07:53:58 PMAlan how did you feel the handle when setting the lever pass the 20# on strike?
any binding on the handle at 25# or 30# or the full 40#

I sold my 1st gen fathom 40LD2 because it had a binding problem once you get on the 20# mark or more.

it was fine.  there is always a little as the pressure increases. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!