Penn 111 2/0

Started by Irish Jigger, February 25, 2012, 06:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irish Jigger

Bryan Young

Wow, that's in great condition.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jimmer

I have one I used for salmon trolling, but prefer higher speed reels now, the 2/0has a 2.25:1 ratio. the spool measures 43.5w x 63mm dia. Rated by Penn  for 275yd of 30lb. Mine looks to have a 3stack drag, brass sleeve sspinion and black metal main gear. The bridge is marked 3-66 so it shares some parts with the long beach series.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Norcal Pescador

It is a pretty slow reel. The drag washers are 6-113 so they're the same size as the 6-60 only thicker. I converted mine to a 1+5 using 0.5mm thick Carbontex from Dawn. A good reel if you aren't very deep, 30-120 feet (10-40 meters) and have mine spooled with 30lb mono.
I like mine, but it's now in backup status.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

George4741

That 2/0 is a nice looking one, IJ.

Mine is set up pretty much like Rob's.  I haven't used it yet, but I plan to on my next rock fishing trip.  I like the old-school looks of them. 

viurem lliures o morirem

Irish Jigger

Thank's guys I like the look of it and am considering making an offer ;D.

Alto Mare

That is a great looking reel Tom...go for it! Be prepared to be disappointed though, someone snatched a brand new 1/0 in its box from me, within the last second of the auction. What hurts is that he got it for just one more dollar :'(. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

You guys have to learn the fine art of Snipping (is that what they call it?).
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Bryan, I'm hoping that it wasn't you that snatched it away from me  :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

No, not me.  I don't like to waste my time snipping.  If I get it, I get it.  If not, it wasn't meant to be and there's other reels out there.

Now, if it was a Pro Gear 545, the it also wasn't me.  Have many snipped from me.  >:(

Pro Gear 545, size of a Penn 1/0 reel with Penn 4/0 drags.  :D

john2244

Bryan,

Yes, the PG 545 is a great reel, my favorite.  The last day of my recent tuna trip I fished one of my 545's  hoping to catch a YFT over 100#'s.  I was only able to catch 3 in the 30 to 50# range.  A few years ago I saw a friend of mine land a 98# YFT on a PG 545.  I love those reels.
John

Alto Mare

I would still take this one over the Pro Gear:

The Pro Gear is a Penn wannabe, they did make one feature stronger than the Penn on those reels, their salt magnet.
They're still nice reel though and I'm only saying that becouse I like you guys ;) ;D.

Irish Jigger

Bryan Young

Sal, show off.  lol.  I love the Penns.  I've got a few myself... bugt I do perfer the 1/0 over the 3/0 reel.  I just love narrow reels.

Keta

Nice.  If I can ever figure out how to remove and replace the spool shaft I want to try putting a Penn 60 spool on my 112H and have a similar reel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain