Blue book for value of used penn reels???

Started by Noviceman, April 29, 2023, 03:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noviceman

A few years ago I got into hobby of buying penn saltwater reels online and completely taking apart cleaning, greasing and replacing the drag washers.  Wondering if there is a source to find out what they might be worth??
Many thanks for any help.
Jim Larson from NE wisconsion

Swami805

A good source is eBay, find what you have and there's a drop down for completed and sold items. Not perfect but gives you an idea of what they've sold for in the last year or so
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Shellbelly

Not a "blue" book for pricing, but there is a green one ;.  The Penn Reel Collector's Companion and Price Guide.  GUIDE being the operative word. 

There's a blue one by the same author, but it's a Penn reel history book.  BOTH are great books and are considered by a majority to be the most comprehensive study of Penn reels and their history ever published.  Oh, there's a yellow one, too!  And he wrote an Ocean City book.  Busy guy.

"Worth" is a "noisy" subject that has taken thousands of subjective opinions down many endless, echo-chamber rabbit holes...because Humans decide what something is worth today, and then we change our minds tomorrow.

I agree with Swami.  The historical prices paid are what you have to work with, but you have to watch out for the outrageously high price someone paid as well as the "deal of the century" low price.  Plug in item condition comparisons as best you can, throw it at the wall, and see what the audience has to say.

I've bought reels that sat for weeks at very reasonable prices...while watching other comparable items sell quickly for much more.  I can't explain that.  I'm watching one now (relisted!) that shouldn't be there at the low asking price. 

I don't sell reels.  I'd rather trade stuff because it seems more of a win-win exchange IMO.  Help in-help out. 8)
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Noviceman

thanks to both of you for responses....Will research both....Noviceman