Can you smooth out a pinion gear

Started by Lunker Larry, April 29, 2023, 06:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

I was wondering if there is a way to smooth out a pinion gear or any gear for that matter. Working on a Lexa 300 and Daiwa says the pinion is no longer available and no substitute. The reel is fully fishable but has a buzz. I've filed gears that were no longer available with moderate success but was wondering if using jewelers rouge or automotive rubbing compound and a toothbrush or something would make a difference.
I'm sure there are a few here that have tried everything and may save me the effort.
Appreciate your time
LL
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

akfish

I can't imagine filing a gear would work very well. But is impossible t change both the pinion and the main gear? Perhaps installing the complete gear set from a current reel would work.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Bill B

I used automotive valve lapping compound on a set of noisy gears on a Penn GLS25 recently.  Worked pretty well, reduced the noise by 50%.  Butt be careful it's very aggressive stuff.  You can see where the compound was working and thinned the working surfaces of the gears.  I'm not 100% satisfied with the gears so ordered a new set.  Maybe if I worked them some more it would be acceptable but there is the risk of taking too much off the gear teeth.  The main and pinion are both SS.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Shellbelly

Assuming there is concurrent wear on the main, wouldn't the main need to be filed to match in order to reduce noise?  I'm sure you are fond of the reel, but sounds like end-of-life is approaching.  I imagine the work you are looking at would be very tedious and needs magnification.  Especially if you consider jewelers files and such.  I would be on a serious hunt for a donor, bolt-on upgrade, something to keep your reel alive. 

Try Mat's Reel Repair.  Use the online request form, give him the part #'s of everything you think you might need for that reel for as long as you live.  He pulled a few rare rabbits out of his hat for me.  GOTTA have part #'s though.  The last time I called over there, Mat answered the phone.  An actual human said hello. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Lunker Larry

Not my reel. Servicing it.
I've managed to quiet down a number of reels by lightly filing both gears and it takes very little time. Have a V shaped file and a light touch. Of course it doesn't make them silky smooth but it does make them fishable and not sound like a coffee grinder. Often they're quieter and smoother at the end of the season as they wear in. I've been very surprised sometimes.
If the reel is no longer supported and the owner wants to keep it going you do what you gotta do 😁
No cheap doner Muskie reels.

I'll look into the valve lapping compound. Thanks for the tip and everyone's suggestions,

Ll
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.

Keta

Filing the pinion greatly reduces the life of the main and pinion gear.

Fine lapping compound works but plan on replacing bearings BEFORE using the reel and make sure 100% + of the lapping compound is washed out of the reel.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shellbelly

Just noticed you're in Canada.  Try Reel Restorations in Comox Valley BC.  He may have replacement gears for the reel.  He bought out an inventory from a closed shop in Vancouver.  Lots of discontinued stuff.  I just got some very scarce spools from him.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Lunker Larry

Quote from: Shellbelly on April 30, 2023, 02:04:16 AMJust noticed you're in Canada.  Try Reel Restorations in Comox Valley BC.  He may have replacement gears for the reel.  He bought out an inventory from a closed shop in Vancouver.  Lots of discontinued stuff.  I just got some very scarce spools from him.
Thanks for the tip

alantani

tough one.  generally, the answer is no.  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Lunker Larry

looked at some lapping compound and it is scarily abrasive so that's out of the question.
I hate it but sometimes you just have to give in  ;)  :D

Bill B

You can try tooth paste or jewelers rouge.  Not nearly as abrasive.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!