Best way to remove stuck sleeve from roller bearing

Started by sebastianr240, April 30, 2023, 04:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebastianr240

Hi all,

I picked up this old Shimano triton trolling series reel and it came with a roller guided rod. Most of the guides were frozen up so I took the out and was able to get 5 of the 7 guides back rolling nicely again. Two of them I can seem to get the sleeves to budge from the inside of the guide, using any tools around the house. Tried soaking in coke which worked for most of them but these won't budge. Any tips?

Also one of the rollers has a small nick so I'll probably be replacing it. Where is a good place to get a replacement? And how do I know what size to order?

Thanks

Bill B

You can try a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid or PB Blaster to loosen the sleeves.  Also a couple heat/freeze cycles may help.

For new guides try Jan's Netcraft or Mudhole.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

JasonGotaProblem

Aftco rollers? I have some spares if you need them
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

sebastianr240

Quote from: Bill B on April 30, 2023, 02:27:07 PMYou can try a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid or PB Blaster to loosen the sleeves.  Also a couple heat/freeze cycles may help.

For new guides try Jan's Netcraft or Mudhole.  Bill

Thanks. Might give that a shot.

sebastianr240

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on April 30, 2023, 02:42:49 PMAftco rollers? I have some spares if you need them

Thanks Jason. Not sure if they're aftco rollers or not as the rod is second hand. I got some replacements but I'm in need of one more and could use some spares. Please send me a pm

Thanks again

Swami805

Aftco's have a number on the top is an easy way to tell. The most common ones are 51,41,or 31. A picture would be helpful
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!