Pair of D.A.M. quick 1202’s

Started by foakes, April 30, 2023, 05:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Built out from scratch a couple of DQ 1202's earlier today.

About 70% new parts out of the DQ stock bins.

These are very unique reels.

Basically just above a Microlite size class —- but with the backbone and overbuilt materials of a much larger reel.

These were a limited run —- fairly rare —- and a pleasure to fish for trout, bass, etc.

Much like another of my favorite reels —- the Cardinal 54 —-
The DQ 1202 has the advantage of being lightweight and a pleasure to handle —- while also being overbuilt and strong enough to capably land a surprise trophy catch like a 12 or 15 pound German Brown, heavy Catfish, large Bass, or Salmon, Steelhead, and Stripers.

Many of the features are extremely clever and useful on these 1202's —- bite indicator for stealth fishing, petticoat spool to prevent line from getting under the spool, positive spring-loaded fold down handle, fold down bail for storage and transport, dead simple adjustable spool spindle for proper line-lay, steel worm drive with a phosphor-cut bronze main gear, manual bail closing —- or by turning the handle, high speed at 1:5 gears —- all in a metal package that weighs 12 ounces!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

That 1202 looks like a fantastic reel! Great work Fred! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Jpaw33

Another beauty! Fred, I can't get enough of your work, from the history to the finished product. It's like artwork you can fish with!!Plus I have a thing for the skirted spool Quicks. Thanks for sharing

happyhooker

Good lookin' & useful reel.

Frank

Brendan

Very interesting. I like that spool. Glad you got a break from the snow detail.
Tight lines, Brendan

Balvar24

One of those and a Microlite would cover 99.9% of the fishing I do.  Nice.

shermanemma

My two D.A.M. Quick 1202's are my "go to" reels for catching Smallmouth bass. The only reason why I would use a different reel is if they were in need of (or shipped off to Fred for) repairing, or if I fish with my dad who still insists that I use his gear!

My other workhorse DQs are my two 2002 and my 3001 and 3002 models that I use while striper fishing. The 2002s are more than enough for the schoolies that I catch in the Penobscot river in Orono, Maine. The 3001 is for the big boys and girls that occasionally swim this far up the Penobscot. The 3002 still has the original line that was installed on it when someone else purchased it way back when. It's like a shiny old car that I'll never drive...until I do.

Brewcrafter

You are not kidding about how clever that line lay adjustment is!  When my buddies saw it on the 5001 they were impressed. - john

farmer56

hi fred farmer56 here... do you still have any of these left and you know me must crank with right hand . thanks dennis

farmer56

fred also forgot can you make me another 220P right hand crank . dennis  if you ask me this is the hidden GEM  ,  farmer  out

foakes

Hi Dennis —-

Yes, these reels are relatively unknown here in North America —- since they were only limited production for a short time for the European Market.

The idea was basically a Hybrid of the best features of the '02 '01, and "N" series reels —- with a traditional non-skirted spool —- which many anglers in Europe had been asking for.

I provided you with my only mint 220P, since you are a good friend and client.

Here is a near mint 440P, which can be either right hand or left hand crank.  Just takes an opposite connecting arm and a screwdriver —- of which I have the arms —- and did a quick install on this one.

This reel is suitable for Salmon, Muskie, Pike, Lakers, and most surf-fishing applications.

I will keep my eyes open, and have contacted a couple of my European contacts regarding a 220P for you.

In the meantime, if you want this 440P, let me know.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

farmer56

looks like i need the 440P , but you didn't answear about the 1202's . also what is the line cap. of the 440P  thanks Fred will PM you latter dennis

foakes

Quote from: farmer56 on August 07, 2023, 01:37:21 PMfred also forgot can you make me another 220P right hand crank . dennis  if you ask me this is the hidden GEM  ,  farmer  out

Sorry Dennis,

Didn't understand about the 1202's

Glad to build one out for you also.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.