Difficulty With Finding Parts for Penn 850SS

Started by hotajax, May 07, 2023, 05:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotajax

Needed part:  4A-750  "Anti Reverse Dog"

Looked at Mystic Parts, stated part no longer available.  Also said that Penn had a new design that was a direct replacement for 4A-750?

What is the replacemnt part number for 4A-750?  Will 4A-650 fit?
Are there any other interchangeable parts?  Would hate to trash an old friend that I've had for a zillion years. 

Gfish

Looked at it. The part you listed—-4A-650 should work, according to them. "Limited Availability" so I'd try it. Don't know the reel, but you can go down the parts list and they should have most interchangeable parts marked.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

hotajax

Thanks. You're the man.  Kind of stunk fighting a citation size drum while fighting a broken anti-reverse and trying to work the drag knob all at the same time.  I owe you a cold one, my friend.  Yeah, I did get that big cow up on the beach. 

JasonGotaProblem

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

hotajax

I already ordered one from ebay.  Thanks for your offer.

Shellbelly

Quote from: hotajax on May 07, 2023, 10:24:07 PMThanks for your offer.
If you think finding one now was difficult, wait til your new one wears out.  I'd take him up on that offer!

Those monster drum will work you over.  They run and then just lay up on their side like a log.   
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

day0ne

4a-650 is the direct replacement according to Mystic web site.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

hotajax

Quote from: Shellbelly on May 08, 2023, 03:43:29 AM
Quote from: hotajax on May 07, 2023, 10:24:07 PMThanks for your offer.
If you think finding one now was difficult, wait til your new one wears out.  I'd take him up on that offer!

Those monster drum will work you over.  They run and then just lay up on their side like a log.   
I hooked up with spinning gear, an off-the-shelf All-Star Breakaway rod.  The fat SOB worked me a hundred yards down the beachbefore I could turn him. Those All-Star rods are strong, and good casters.   

Shellbelly

One of my rods is an AllStar Gulfstream.  It's really a trolling rod, but I've learned to use it as a surf caster.  It's a stout stick, for sure.

At one of the canal spots I've been fishing, there has been a big drum working the rocks in a couple of feet of water.  He rolls over on his side to get at fiddler crabs under the rocks.  Gotta be 30 pounds!  I see him every time I go there.  I thought about dropping something in front of him but changed my mind.  I don't need to hook that.  He fouled my line once and when I got him in, he had a leader in him.  Got all that off of him and let him go.  His mouth and sides were scarred up from being hooked so much.  No telling how old that fish is or how many lines he's snapped.  It's the same fish because I recognize the marks on him now.

"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

hotajax

A beat up old veteran.  Probably has a foul mouth, too.

JasonGotaProblem

Oh, is that where that S.O.B. swam off to?

Ajax, you can mod it to have both dogs engaged at the same time, and both spring driven. I did to my 750SS and my 8500SS. They also have SS dogs and 16 tooth ratchet, but i digress.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.