Play in Rotor

Started by hotajax, May 08, 2023, 10:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotajax

Reel:  Penn 850SS

Replaced bearings x 3.  Despite new bearings, there is a fair amount of side play in the rotor when I shake it from side to side. I'd estimate 1/8 of an inch in side play. 

OK, so I can sleep at night, is this from wear in the pinion gear?  The bearing sits firmly in the cup.
And if the pinion gear is worn, should I be looking to replace the main gear and crosswind gear as well? The main gear doesn't appear visually to be worn, but I don't like the play.  It's been in service for 30 years, so the reel doesn't owe me anything.  Thanks for your opinions. 

boon

You need to work out which "interface" between two parts has looseness in it.
The for the rotor to have play, either you need to have play between the rotor itself and the pinion, or between the pinion gear and the pinion bearing.

If the pinion is so worn that it has play between itself and the pinion bearing, the gear alignment will be constantly changing as well which can't be good for either longevity or power transmission. The most likely way this would happen is if the reel was used for an extended period with a seized pinion bearing, which would cause the softer brass pinion to wear against the much harder bearing. If the gear is worn to the point of needing replacement you really should be doing the main and pinion, at which point there's a pretty good chance it's time to retire the reel.

The other possibility is that the interface between the rotor and pinion is worn out. Either side of this equation could have the wear on it. You could possibly pack out the join between the two but it wouldn't be a long-lasting repair; at least if the looseness is between the pinion and rotor then it shouldn't affect the reel's usefulness too badly.

oldmanjoe

Did you have this much play before you changed bearings .    How did the new bearing feel and how did the fit of bearing feel when the pinion slid in ??
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

Ok dumb question are you certain the rotor nut is tightened down all the way? Is it possible something is preventing it from tightening all the way?

If you disassemble is there play between the bearing and pinion? Is there play between the bearing and housing?

Are you sure the bearing was seated all the way in its opening?

Ok and the last, really really dumb question: are you sure it's the rotor that's wiggling? Someone once brought me a reel complaining about supposed rotor wobble, and I fixed their problem... By tightening the bail arm screw. It was the bail arm moving. Not saying that's what yours is doing but I've seen it at least once.

I have parts. Including gears. And bearings.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

hotajax

Quote from: oldmanjoe on May 09, 2023, 12:50:59 PMDid you have this much play before you changed bearings .    How did the new bearing feel and how did the fit of bearing feel when the pinion slid in ??
Yes, I had that much play before I changed bearings.
Bearing fit in snugly with basic thumb pressure.