Upgrading Trinidad 20 Handle to Ocea Jigger

Started by gone2fish, May 09, 2023, 02:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gone2fish

Good day all,

Hopefully this has not been already posted.  I have been wanting to upgrade the handle on my Trinidad 20A for some time.  While there are after market handles / arms all over.  I really like the handle on the Ocea Jigger 2000 that I have.  Which leads us to hear.  I decided to attempt and see if it would fit as a simple swap on the Trinidad.  Went on the Shimano website.  I ordered the following

TGT2929 - Ocea Jigger 2000 handle assembly

2954 - Cover for nut

2805 - Screw for the cover

IMG_2010.jpeg

IMG_2009.jpeg

Here are the schematics for the Trinidad and the Ocea Jigger

Let's begin

IMG_1992.jpeg

Here is the reel initially.

IMG_1994.jpeg

We are going to remove the screw 128 and save the nut 1637 as this will be reused.

IMG_1995.jpeg

Be cognizant that washer 1647 tends to stick to the bottom of the handle.  So put it to the side safely and don't loose it.  We will put this back in.

IMG_2001.jpeg
IMG_1999.jpeg
IMG_1996.jpeg
IMG_1997.jpeg
IMG_1998.jpeg

And here are the handles side by side for comparison.  As it turns out the Ocea Jigger handle arm is 1 mm thicker.  Although as you can see in the last photo the area where the nut is going to sit is milled mildly more shallow.  As this is a star drag, I expect that it will not cause any issues.  But let's see when the arm is on the reel.  It is 1 cm longer and definitely thicker.  Looks promising for a heavier outfit upgrade to the Trinidad to me.

IMG_2003.jpeg

Install the handle assembly TGt 2929 while pressing the star drag down.  To make sure the handle is seated in the lowest position on the threaded as possible.

IMG_2004.jpeg

IMG_2005.jpeg

Install the cover 2954 and then the screw (black) 2805.  It is longer than the screw on the Trinidad arm part 128.

And.....

gone2fish

IMG_2006.jpeg

IMG_2007.jpeg

IMG_2008.jpeg

Here we are.  Handle is on.  There is less gap between the star drag and the handle when it is backed all the way down.  But it is still not rubbing the handle.  When backed all the way down.  Drag is minimal as before and smooth.  Likewise no issues as I progressed the star drag and tested the line pay out.  Smooth, no issues.  The nut had plenty of thread to grab on and lock the handle down.  As seen in prior photos.  Initially I am very happy with this change.  Now to do some damage on the Keys with my daughter in 2 weeks.

Tight lines folks
Stay Safe

PS
This is my first and very rookie tutorial.  Please give constructive critique so that in can improve in the future as I will try to post more. 

Thanks again.   

Keta

The new Ocia Jigger handle is not like the one on my reel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

gone2fish

Quote from: Keta on May 09, 2023, 04:15:31 AMThe new Ocia Jigger handle is not like the one on my reel.

I'm not sure.  This is the current handle on my USA model Ocea, and I got the handle assembly directly from Shimano. 

No I need to check if the handle knob can replace the eggs on my Talicas:) 😂😂😂

I'm glad the Snow White egg handle is gone off my Trinidad 😂😂😂

JasonGotaProblem

That white egg was a very questionable choice by shimano. Hands get quite dirty while fishing. And their handles get sticky over time. Its a recipe for a super gross looking handle.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Keta

My Ocea Jigger is a JDM reel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

boon

Quote from: gone2fish on May 09, 2023, 11:29:30 AMNo I need to check if the handle knob can replace the eggs on my Talicas:) 😂😂😂

If your Talicas are 2 speeds in size 12 or larger the simple upgrade is a TAC50 handle arm and handle. The single speeds are trickier, I believe the alloy knobs off a Stella fit but if you want a T-bar you're possibly looking at the aftermarket.

Quote from: Keta on May 09, 2023, 03:08:15 PMMy Ocea Jigger is a JDM reel.

There are several generations and "trim levels" of Ocea Jigger. That one is off a OJ 2000 NRPG or very similar. The older OJs smaller than a 4000 just got the egg handle on a longer arm.

steelfish

Quote from: gone2fish on May 09, 2023, 11:29:30 AMNo I need to check if the handle knob can replace the eggs on my Talicas:) 😂😂😂

let us know your findings about the Ocea Jigger handle on talicas, I also hate the white egg knob on my talica 16 single speed.
The Baja Guy

MarkT

It doesn't take much to turn those white knobs pink.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

boon

Quote from: steelfish on May 09, 2023, 11:27:09 PM

let us know your findings about the Ocea Jigger handle on talicas, I also hate the white egg knob on my talica 16 single speed.

The complete handle arm won't fit, the driveshaft is a different shape. As for swapping the knob over, I don't know.

But also your Talica shouldn't have a white egg unless it's been messed around with. Talica egg handles are textured grey and don't do the peely thing.

steelfish

Quote from: boon on May 10, 2023, 01:23:55 AM
Quote from: steelfish on May 09, 2023, 11:27:09 PM

The complete handle arm won't fit, the driveshaft is a different shape. As for swapping the knob over, I don't know.

But also your Talica shouldn't have a white egg unless it's been messed around with. Talica egg handles are textured grey and don't do the peely thing.

my bad, your totally right, I was thinking on a trinidad reel but my talica has a black egg knob which I dont like either  :P

thats my youngest daughter with the Talica 16
The Baja Guy

gone2fish

Yes,  they are grey.  I'm just looking to change to a rubber T Style.  Will see how just the knob works out.  I wish I could upgrade to a 50 handle on the 20 Tac.  But everyone is out that I checked with including Shimano themselves...:(

I only like the egg shape on my Speedmaster 10ii.  Small reel. 

I bought a handle assembly for a Tac 20 and plan to put it on my Tac 12.  My suspicion is it will fit and give some more power / torque. 

I'll post if it works out.

boon

It will definitely fit and is about 10mm longer.