Penn Spinfisher Experts - Need An Assist Please

Started by hotajax, May 15, 2023, 03:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotajax

Model 850SS

Problem with anti reverse.
Silent dog was broken, replaced silent dog, ratchet, and bearings with all NEW stuff. 

I'm unable to get the the anti reverse to engage when the clicker is OFF.  When the clicker is ON, there's no problem, AR engages just fine.  Except the clicker is more irritating than my in-laws. 

Also, when cranking the handle with the clicker OFF, I hear some trash noise under the rotor like something is loose.  I compared this 850 with a 750SS that is working perfectly, and I cannot see any difference between the two reels.  Where am I going wrong?  Not pulling out the Buffalo Trace before I started working on it?

Is there a concealed spring somewhere causing the aggravation?

Thanks in advance.

Reeltyme

Check to be sure the large counter balance arm between the clicker control and the anti reverse arm is installed in the correct direction and position. It sounds like that's the problem.

hotajax

I'll give that a shot next. 

I played with it again after I posted the note above. Now, it's catching a few of the ratchet teeth, but not all.  Still not at 100% capture of every tooth.  Jeez, I don't have this much trouble fixing my truck. 

Thank you for responding.

JasonGotaProblem

I hesitated to jump on this, I fear you're getting sick of me. In addition to the above good advice, I would consider polishing the inside face of the hole where the dog meets the post. God that was such a hard bit of advice to write in compliance with the 12yo rule.

Back on topic: that dog needs to move VERY freely. Anything that slows it down makes it work worse. Another reason I say oil not grease on an AR
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

hotajax

Jason, never sick of hearing from you. I did put grease (not oil) on that screw that holds the silent dog.  Maybe I'll get a dremel and ream out the hole in the silent dog.  The screw seems to go through the dog with absolutely no play.  Then use TSI-321 on that spot.

Maybe all those silent dogs are not actually made by Penn, and the tolerances are not quite up to speed with aftermarket production.  A grain of sand could do it to me, too.  I do use that reel excusively on the beach. 

I tried turning around the transfer arm, but no good, it will only go one way when you switch on the AR.   

Somewhere there is a failed part I'm not seeing.  Thanks.