Ceramic bearings rattle??

Started by Swami805, May 19, 2023, 02:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

I recently put a set of ceramic bearings in my Newell G332. When I turn it side to side it rattles a little like there's a couple small screws loose inside, I checked, there isn't
Anyone ever use these? The 100% ceramic bearings not the hybrids
Thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

boon

Did you install them dry? They do rattle/chatter a lot without lubrication.

Swami805

Yes dry, i cleaned all the oil and grease off the spool shaft and bearing cups too. Should I lube them?

JasonGotaProblem

Ceramics won't ever be silent. But they will be quieter with a dab of oil. I vote TSI 321. That's what all my ceramics get.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

boon

Quote from: Swami805 on May 19, 2023, 03:47:53 AMYes dry, i cleaned all the oil and grease off the spool shaft and bearing cups too. Should I lube them?

My understanding is they perform best without any lubrication at all, they're just noisy. I had a couple of reels with ceramic spool bearings and I ended up lightly oiling them as I like my reels silent.

Swami805

I'm ok with a little noise casting, the rattle is a little in-nerving though

alantani

Never been a fan of anything ceramic in a bearing.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: alantani on May 19, 2023, 04:05:06 PMNever been a fan of anything ceramic in a bearing.   :-\

I'm with you on that, Alan!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Quote from: Midway Tommy on May 19, 2023, 04:24:55 PM
Quote from: alantani on May 19, 2023, 04:05:06 PMNever been a fan of anything ceramic in a bearing.  :-\

I'm with you on that, Alan!

Me three...but those ceramic bearings really cast well...if you don't mind your reel sounding like it needs serviced. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

Mr tenderloin on here sent me some to try so thought I'd give them a go. I have a trip coming up Tuesday with the opportunity to throw some iron. I know all the guys on the boat and they think I'm a little off anyway. Something new to irritate them

JasonGotaProblem

It's not thaaat loud. I'll bet the AR dog is louder.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

wonder if "reverse hybrid" would be functional:
fat ceramic outer race that won't corrode & freeze to the frame; cost-effective steel everywhere else
thinking mostly of gear bearings in light S/W spinners -- not, spool bearing speed/distance

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on May 19, 2023, 06:21:06 PMI know all the guys on the boat and they think I'm a little off anyway. Something new to irritate them

they will get more irritated when you out fished them .. again !
The Baja Guy

Donnyboat

All the long cast records are made using ciramics, using them dry, if your going to lube them, then just the smallest drop you can manage, yes dry they make a lot of noise, not long ago I seen a bloke casting over 200 M , his best was 223 M but it did wander of line a bit, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

JRD

I'm on board with the smallest amount of light oil.  Best is dry but the noise has always bothered me. With regular bearings when they make that sound it's telling you they're about to blow up on you.