General uses for 200 Proof ethanol?

Started by reelynew, June 05, 2023, 09:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelynew

My sister in law's lab moved and they were getting rid of some supplies.  One of them was 200 proof lab grade ethanol.  Would there be any use cases for using this as a solvent for reel cleaning?  I'd appreciate any thoughts on possible use cases in general. 

Thanks All,

Matt
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

boon

It's probably as good as any other solvent like isopropyl alcohol, with most of the same caveats.

Worth mentioning that at that level of purity it has an appallingly low flashpoint, well below room temperature, so it needs to be stored and handled with care if you have more than a small amount of it.

day0ne

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

philaroman

alcohol stoves for camping, catering, etc.
cheap to buy, or fun to make:

add a little salt to make flame visible

reelynew

Thanks for all the replies.  Lots of interesting options.  Good to know about the safety concerns for it.  I have a gallon of it, so maybe I will disperse it into different containers. 

Keta

I use it to devolve and purify propolis.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

Use cases? Cut it with orange juice and use it to kill brain cells!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bryan Young

Quote from: reelynew on June 05, 2023, 09:43:59 PMMy sister in law's lab moved and they were getting rid of some supplies.  One of them was 200 proof lab grade ethanol.  Would there be any use cases for using this as a solvent for reel cleaning?  I'd appreciate any thoughts on possible use cases in general. 

Thanks All,

Matt
Hi Matt,

This is also very useful for our rod wrappers using alcohol lamps to get bubbles out of the rod finishes.

Are you selling them?  if so, I can see if my friends could use them.

They also very good cleaning agents for streak free windows, mirrors,...

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Denatured alcohol is no longer available in the New Peoples Democratic Free State of Norte California.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

reelynew

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 07, 2023, 04:39:56 PM
Quote from: reelynew on June 05, 2023, 09:43:59 PMMy sister in law's lab moved and they were getting rid of some supplies.  One of them was 200 proof lab grade ethanol.  Would there be any use cases for using this as a solvent for reel cleaning?  I'd appreciate any thoughts on possible use cases in general. 

Thanks All,

Matt
Hi Matt,

This is also very useful for our rod wrappers using alcohol lamps to get bubbles out of the rod finishes.

Are you selling them?  if so, I can see if my friends could use them.

They also very good cleaning agents for streak free windows, mirrors,...

Bryan

Hi Bryan,

I have one gallon of the alcohol.  I was thinking of keeping a pint, but you and your friends are welcome to the rest.  I believe you live relatively close by so this should work out. 

Matt