Metered braided fishing line - 100 ft colored section

Started by jzman, June 11, 2023, 12:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jzman

There are specialty metered braid that changes color every 100 feet.  These were especially made for knife jigging and sinker rig fishing for tuna.  The cheap way to have metered line is to use a sharpie or a fabric marker to mark the line. 

Currently, there are three manufacturers (that I know of) of this braid:

1. Izorline.  Repeats every 5 colors (500 feet).  Solid braid for 65, 80, 100 lb test. Hollow for 100, 135, 200 lb test.  Only sold to tackle shops as bulk spool. 
2. Power Pro.  "Depth Hunter Offshore".  Repeats every 5 colors (500 feet).  Solid Braid only in 65, 80, and 130 lb test.  Can be found online (1000, 1500 and 3000 yards bulk spool) and is probably the cheaper of the three.
3. Odyssey Braid. New company not sure.

Only need one set of colors (500 feet) per reel and splice it to your existing line on your reel (may need to remove some braid for it to fit).  If the existing line is hollow core go with the power pro.  If the existing line is solid, then either use the izorline hollow core metered line or use a section of hollow core to join the reel and metered line together.

MarkT

I have Izor 65# metered on my Mak 15T and 100# metered on my HXW Raptor. The Mak for sinker rig with an 60# top shot and the HXW for jigs with a 100# top shot.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

JasonGotaProblem

If it doesn't need to be hollow nomad makes a 3 color 100m metered braid that comes in lighter sizes too. I k ow it at least goes down to 15# test.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Donnyboat

Would you fish that deep very often, I uuse 10m multi colour braid, but most of our fishing is about 45 M, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

jzman

Quote from: MarkT on June 11, 2023, 01:38:42 AMI have Izor 65# metered on my Mak 15T and 100# metered on my HXW Raptor. The Mak for sinker rig with an 60# top shot and the HXW for jigs with a 100# top shot.
I bought 1000 yard 130# Power Pro that I am going to use for my fathom 40nld2, alijos 16ii, and my mak 20.  I am going lose to some line capacity for my fathom but its fine. 

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on June 11, 2023, 03:12:37 AMIf it doesn't need to be hollow nomad makes a 3 color 100m metered braid that comes in lighter sizes too. I k ow it at least goes down to 15# test.
What's the name of the nomad braid?

Quote from: Donnyboat on June 11, 2023, 10:55:20 PMWould you fish that deep very often, I uuse 10m multi colour braid, but most of our fishing is about 45 M, cheers Don.

When the tuna are deep they are found between 200-300 feet.  The captain usually announces where he's marking them.  The 10m colored braid is difficult to keep track of.

MarkT

Nomad Panderra braid changes color every 30'.  For tuna jigging, I feel that 100' is best... the captain will say the depth he's marking fish... 250', 300', etc. The boat is drifting and there's usually a pretty fast drift so the line scopes out. I have a 50' top shot so if he's marking at 300' I drop down 3 colors then put it in gear and crank up a color. If not bit, drop back down and repeat.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

boon

Keta

JB Line One comes in 2 styles metered every 30', I prefer the red, white, blue over the multi colored.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

JasonGotaProblem

I may have misspoke or mis-typed. Nomad panderra changes colors every 10m and has 3 colors. So when you see the same color again it's about 100'

So sort of what youre looking for...

I love metered braid. The only thing I dislike are all the questions I get when people see it the first time.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.