teach me to crimp.

Started by MexicanGulf, June 11, 2023, 09:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MexicanGulf

hi guys, i have never used a crimper in my life. I would like to learn from you that you are certainly far more experienced than me. I know for sure that there are some rules to observe for crimping and having good results, can you help me? I have to use nylon and fluorocarbon from 80 to 180 lbs.

pjstevko

Buy a quality crimper like the Jinkai SC-3C Hand Crimper.

I use copper double barrel crimps but that's up to you.

Don't squeeze too hard when crimping.

Keta

Sizing the sleeves is critical.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thrasher

What they all said and I'll add a little something. After it's all set up and before you crimp, lightly hit the tag end with a flame to create a mushroom head. If you used the correct size double barrel crimp you should be able to snug it up nicely without it pulling through.

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Donnyboat

Why bother, lots of mucking around, I use Stainless steel leed wire, easy to tie just keep rapping it around its self, nice & neat, the bloke that put me onto it, had just landed a 17 Kg Spanish mackerel, I have seen it upto 140 Lbs, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

thrasher

Quote from: Donnyboat on June 11, 2023, 10:51:05 PMWhy bother, lots of mucking around, I use Stainless steel leed wire, easy to tie just keep rapping it around its self, nice & neat, the bloke that put me onto it, had just landed a 17 Kg Spanish mackerel, I have seen it upto 140 Lbs, good luck cheers Don.
A haywire twist & barrel wrap is the way to go if you want to use wire for insurance from toothy critters but sometimes people want to use mono/fluoro for increased hook ups. I always used both wire and mono in my spreads, especially if I was targeting sailfish.

Keta

Quote from: Donnyboat on June 11, 2023, 10:51:05 PMWhy bother, lots of mucking around, I use Stainless steel leed wire, easy to tie just keep rapping it around its self, nice & neat, the bloke that put me onto it, had just landed a 17 Kg Spanish mackerel, I have seen it upto 140 Lbs, good luck cheers Don.

Quote from: MexicanGulf on June 11, 2023, 09:15:37 AMI have to use nylon and fluorocarbon from 80 to 180 lbs.

The OP is asking about momo/fluro not wire.

Mark Twain

Keta

Quote from: MexicanGulf on June 11, 2023, 09:15:37 AMI have to use nylon and fluorocarbon from 80 to 180 lbs.

The OP is asking about mono/fluro not wire.

Mark Twain

boon

If someone can find me a connection as compact and consistently strong in 100-150lb mono as a crimp.... I'm all ears.

Donnyboat

Don, or donnyboat

day0ne

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

MexicanGulf

Thanks friends

Squidder Bidder

I was at a fishing seminar this winter and I attended a breakout session on crimping.

One bit of advice that was given was to calibrate your crimping tool if it is adjustable. Create a section of line with a loop on one end made with the crimp. Secure one end to something like a trailer hitch on your truck, and use something to hook into the crimped loop. Pull until the line breaks. If the line breaks inside the crimp, your crimp may be too tight and your tool needs adjusting.

The other tip was not to fear drilling out some of the material on either side of the crimp "die" part within the jaws in order to make the crimped area a bit narrower. A good crimp has flares on both ends - otherwise the crimp itself can dig into the material and cause it to break under stress. If the crimp recess is too wide (meaning, taking up all or too much of the length of the crimp itself and not making the flares on both ends) you need to narrow it by removing some of the material on either side.