Mitchell Version 4 Full Bail Lefty

Started by Reeltyme, June 11, 2023, 07:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reeltyme

I purchased 2 version 4 Mitchell spinners, a standard right hand (left hand retrieve) and a left hand (right hand retrieve). The serial number on the right hand reel indicates it is an early run production. I began cleaning the lefty and found some strange things. First, the word Mitchell is upside down. Okay, they simply moved the egg cover from one side to the other. Next when I removed the handle it is not reversed thread so that if the handle is not tightened down it will loosen up as you reel. The anti-reverse lever is pinned on the correct or opposite side of a standard right hand reel even though the side plate lettering is upside down. The spool is definitely designed for a lefty, but the biggest issue is there is NO serial number anywhere? I checked everywhere to see if paint or grinding removed it,,nope. Nothing on the foot. Nothing to be found anywhere. Could this be a "Frankenstein" reel? The anti-reverse indicates to me that it was intentionally designed. Any help would be appreciated. The Mitchell web site was no help.

jtwill98

Perhaps someone in this forum knows the answer but Mitchell collector types and experts on this subject matter tend to follow the MRM https://mitchellreelmuseum.com/forum/) forum. There are several collectors and authors on the MRM forum that should be able to answer your questions. 

I suspect it may not be a Frankenstein but without pictures it's difficult to render an opinion.

Reeltyme

Thanks for the info. It is currently under cleaning mode and I can hopefully post pictures in a day or two. I will also check in on the  Mitchell forum.

foakes

A few things —- on a lefty 300 with the crank on the right side —- the engraved Mitchell logo is often upside down.

Handle should not loosen when crank is operated.  Both the main gear shaft, as well as the crank handle are specific to the left or right side orientation.

Some Mitchells do not have serial numbers.

Some serial numbers are actually on the side of the frame housing —- and not on the bottom of the foot.

If the frame was ever replaced —- it would not have a serial number.

I have around 400 to 500, (or more) Mitchells to get rid of this year.  And many are different variations —- depending on the version as well as anything that may have been done over the years to alter, improve, or repair them.

All of the new old stock frames in the bins have no serial numbers.  This is true for the 300 - 400 — 304/305 - bigger salts, and others.

Lots of the lefties have the inverted Mitchell logo because it was just easier to manufacture them that way.

And if you look down at your reel —- it appears readable.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reeltyme

Thanks Fred. Everything you mentioned is logical, already checked and/or I am aware of EXCEPT the replacement frame not having a serial number! Did not know that. The lack of the serial number and the handle threads not being reversed are the 2 things that have thrown me off. The serial number being possibly explained, still the handle threads are a mystery. Oh well, I will live with it, not that I will ever fish it. It will be a "Shelf Queen"!
Thanks All!
Randy McConnell
Reeltyme

Gfish

Wanna see some pictures. What makes the lefty a version 4?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Reeltyme

Morning "G", The reason this reel is a version 4 is it is marked simply "Mitchell". No numerical designation is added. As the first 3 versions as well a the first few version 4' were all half bail reels. Mine is a full bail. Thus with the lack of a numerical designation and it being a full bail and the location of the serial number normally on the backside of the main frame, you have a version 4. Beginning with version 5 and up, the famous "300" was added after the name Mitchell. As for pictures, I will add them as soon as I finish the cleaning process, hopefully today. Thanks all!
Randy McConnell
Reeltyme

Reeltyme

Pictures of both the right hand and left hand reels.

Gfish

Gotcha. Good info. Been lookin for a right-hand version 4. Got bid-up too high on a 1/2 bail version 4 recently. Looks like there might be a chronological overlap somewheres in the early 50's between the 1/2 and full bail 300's. That is, maybe both were offered at the same time...?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Reeltyme

G, there is a guesstimate chronological age frame on the Mitchell website. It's helpful but states that it might not be exact.

jtwill98

The paint on the back of the right hand wind seems thick and not as smooth as the other reel.  Can you tell if it has a second coat of paint on it?  At close inspection through enlargement of the picture there appears to be a faint 4 but that may be because the paint is not smooth. Definitely the handle on the right-hand wind reel does not look to be original. 

Reeltyme

Quote from: jtwill98 on June 13, 2023, 02:25:07 AMThe paint on the back of the right hand wind seems thick and not as smooth as the other reel.  Can you tell if it has a second coat of paint on it?  At close inspection through enlargement of the picture there appears to be a faint 4 but that may be because the paint is not smooth. Definitely the handle on the right-hand wind reel does not look to be original. 

I did notice the paint issue and wondered if it was repainted however after looking at the "made in France" stamp, it does not appear to be any heavier or filled in with extra paint. So I chalked it up to neglect or abuse over the years. As for the handle, a definite replacement.

Walter61

The crank arm could be from an Olympic Model 81 ?

Walter61

Checked the number on three of my Mitchells. The roll in the middle doesn't have a roll number either, but it doesn't look like it was painted over.

Reeltyme

That Olympic handle looks to be a dead ringer for the one on my lefty. I think you nailed it with that one. If I looked a bit in my junk pile, I probably have the correct handle.