Mitchell 308 broken pinion screw removal

Started by reynolds531, June 12, 2023, 07:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reynolds531

New member here and this is my first posting. I hope that I am in the correct section.

So I picked up a Mitchell 308 that I thought was a good deal. It came with three spools. The seller said it ran a bit rough. I received it last week and it has a few issues. One is the bail trip lever mechanism. It was shipped with the spring not connected. I reattached it and could not get the bail to close properly. After comparing it to a 308 I have, I realize that this reel has the wrong bail wire. It looks as if it came from a 308A. I can fix this with proper bail wire I believe. I did check the bail spring and it seems fine.

The bigger issue is the pinion lock screw to remove the rotor. It looks as if one side of the head has sheared off so there is no way to get a screw driver to bite. I see that there are replacement pinion lock set screws for sale. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can remove this screw with a broken head? I have given it a few days soaking with some penetrating oil. It is a tight spot to get at. It may not be removable if the steel screw has galled into the aluminum rotor.

Much thanks in advance for any ideas.

foakes

That is always a tough one to get out if the keeper screw slot is boogered or broken off.

If you can get in there with a Dremel or coping-type saw —- it might be possible to cut an additional slot at 90°.  This will ruin the screw, but it may back out.

Also, if you have a tiny drill bit and a drill press —- a 1/8" hole may be drilled —- which may enable an EZ-Out carefully applied by hand.

Either of these techniques, if successful without messing up the screw threads in the frame —- might still cause minor damage to the frame —- but that can be patched up easily.  It is in a place where it will not show.

Other remedies would include another frame & Pinion Keeper screw, maybe another pinion bearing assembly.  The rotor would not be harmed —- since the keep screw locks the pinion bearing & gear assembly —- the rotor is separate.

Or, a donor reel to cannibalize.

I have any parts or reels you may need.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jtwill98

As I mentioned on the MRM board you can try using a center punch and try to catch an offset piece of the head to drive it CCW, once the penetrating oil has a chance loosen up any corrosion. 

Here a link to a video that shows this method or at the 5:40 mark of this video - .   

reynolds531

Thank you for the replies and information. This is such a tight area to work in. I cannot get a Dremel to fit. I may try to pick up some small diameter punches and give that a go. I suspect that it may well be galled with the steel into the aluminum. I have soaked the screw again in PB Blaster and a bit of Liquid wrench and I will leave it over night. I did get some money back from the seller so the three spools are at least of use.