Penn 4/0 SENATOR 113H Conventional Reel With NEWELL “2 3/8” Conversion Kit

Started by Hankzudd, June 14, 2023, 01:11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hankzudd

how strong is this setup? how much 40 or 50 lb mono will it hold?

looking for something a bit stronger than conventional 113HZ; just missed two with aftermarket al. frames.
would be backup bottom fishing rig & Texas offshore tuna rig (no SoCal bruisers)

what is a good replacement bearing for those? mine run good, but always looking to upgrade.

Brewcrafter

I'm not sure what kind of fishing you are doing, but my basically stock 113H external drag post model is plenty strong enough for trolling with 50# mono.  It has been awhile but I think I have about 300 yards on there.  As far as replacement bearings, any quality bearing will work fine - are you looking for smooth reliable operation or some kind of casting performance?  If you are not confident in the capabilities and capacity of a 113H, the easy inexpensive solution would be a 114h, or if you really want to step up get an appropriately sized 2 Speed (Fathom or any of the other good suppliers). - john

Bill B

The 113H is a tank of a reel and can be upgraded to the M1 Abhrams model fairly easily.  If carbon fiber drags are already present upgrade the handle and gear sleeve and you are good to go.  The factory half frame is good to go for all but the heaviest drag numbers.  If line capacity is a concern look for the 113HLW and the same rules noted above apply.  Dominick's Tank (with all the upgrades built by Sal) easily handled a marlin in Cabo.

As John stated, you can get better performance from a Penn Fathom 40NLD2 in a smaller package.  Check the fleabay sellers in Australia for the best prices. 

Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!