3D Printers-Drag/Handle Knobs

Started by jgp12000, June 14, 2023, 10:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I know zippo about 3D printers ,but am curious if you could make drag or handle knobs from the original.I assume they would have to be
machined in some way to fit?Not to sell, just to keep our old reels going.

Brewcrafter

Jurelometer Dave is one of our resident 3D Printer wizards and will be along shortly....-john

JasonGotaProblem

I've fantasized about making a mold, casting in brass, and tapping the threads. Then maybe chrome plating?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Midway Tommy

Dave discussed some of the complications a few weeks ago in another thread. Some handle knobs are mostlikely doable. Most drag knobs would be a completely different story, though.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jgp12000

It seems like a lot of the PENN greenies I see on ebay are great looking reels,except the plastic parts are beginning to crack over the years.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: jgp12000 on June 14, 2023, 03:47:00 PMIt seems like a lot of the PENN greenies I see on ebay are great looking reels,except the plastic parts are beginning to crack over the years.

Very true, and the Zs & ss generations.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jurelometer

Here is a thread  on this topic from a while back (also by the OP ?):

https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,30413.0.html

It is doable for the smaller freshwater reels, as they  don't operate under much load.

For drag caps, there are some metal bits that have to be fabricated or harvested from the broken originals.

Printed parts won't be as smooth as the originals without time consuming post processing, and the maker has do know what they are doing (most don't) to design and print functional parts that don't quickly fail.

I have shared a few parts, and have offered the CAD files to members in good standing.

If there are some specific topics that we did not cover in the prior thread, feel free to ask away.

-J

jgp12000

I remember now Dave I started that topic 3 years ago,time flies.Currently,I only have 2 greenies a 716 and 722.
The white plastic Drag/Handle Knobs on both reels are pristine.These parts are hard to come by I believe they would be good candidates.