Wright & McGill square spinning rod

Started by akroper, June 16, 2023, 07:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akroper

Hello, all. I recently purchased a Wright & McGill spinning rod that I'm trying to determine approximate date of manufacture. It has a 6 1/2 foot square solid glass shaft, ivory color with a slight greenish tint, three guides and tiptop of corrosion free metal (stainless?), and is marked a few inches above the cork grip with "Daisy SS 6 1/2" in red block lettering and "Wright & McGill" in red script. There are no other markings anywhere on the rod.  It has a green adjustable reel seat with silver color slip rings. I want to pair it with a Wright McGill or some other brand reel of the same vintage, maybe a Stream and Lake spinner, and catch some trout with it. Thanks for any information you folks can give me.
Nine of the eleven voices in my head are telling me to go fishing today.

foakes

Wright-McGill has been around since the mid-20's.

Hooks, flies, rods, a few reels.

Still based in Denver, Colorado.

Good products at reasonable prices.

During the mid to late 50's, many other types of manufacturers were looking to diversify and expand into other similar but different area of product offerings.

Daisy was one of these companies.  Later, around 1958, to also forge a partnership with Heddon.

Wright-McGill and Daisy were two good names in sporting goods —- but the partnership was short-lived.

I am not 100% sure —- but Daisy and Heddon were always producing fishing gear and BB guns —- and trying out new and less expensive materials and production methods.

Maybe WM didn't want to go down that road at that point in time?

Anyway, my guess on dating would be mid 50's.

If you don't already have a reel candidate for the rod —- don't buy one —- I have plenty, and would be glad to send you one of your choices at no charge.

Caution —- a 70 year old solid square FG rod may not hold up to a lot of stress.  But, then again, it may out-perform anything coming out of Asia today.

Thanks for sharing!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

philaroman

unlike the rods, not aware of any W&M reels that are especially good
(all outsourced & well-after 50's???)
let Fred set you up w/ something period-correct, but better-made

happyhooker

Are we talking about Wright & McGill and Eagle Claw being pretty much one and the same?  Was there ever a time they were different?  Without looking back at my notes, I seem to recall some Italian made spinning reels in the history of one/both of these companies that weren't too bad, and maybe some others from the '60s era (?)

Frank

Midway Tommy

Quote from: happyhooker on June 17, 2023, 02:04:28 AMAre we talking about Wright & McGill and Eagle Claw being pretty much one and the same?  Was there ever a time they were different?  Without looking back at my notes, I seem to recall some Italian made spinning reels in the history of one/both of these companies that weren't too bad, and maybe some others from the '60s era (?)

Frank

Yes, they outsourced to Ofmer of Italy and also to USA made Shakespeare prior to switching to Asian made reels in the '70s.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)