Japan Knife review

Started by Bill B, June 16, 2023, 09:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

So I fell for an add that came across my FaceBook feed for a pocket knife from Japan Knife co. (yes a Chinese company).  At $26 shipped I figured it was worth a try. 

I received it about a month ago and carried it daily for normal tasks around the house like opening letters, packages, etc.  I waited a month to give it a work out before I posted a review.  Closed length is 4 3/4", overall length is 8 3/8".  I dont have a scale to weight it but feels just about right (subjective I know but it feels good in the hand). The blade is locked open with a substantial liner lock.

The sheath that came with it is real leather but I dont care for it.  I just dont like my gear swinging around banging on stuff.  I does carry well in a deep pocket and there is no pocket clip. 

The blade is carbon steel (?) with a matt finish from the light sanding marks left from the grinding process.  The bolsters and screws appear to be stainless steel. 

The company makes four versions of this knife.  A plain steel in swept blade and Tanto profile and and what the company calls "Damascene" which I presume to be faux damascus steel in both profiles.  I've been looking for a penknife to carry and I find this knife well worth the $26. 

Will it replace my edc Gerber Paraframe? Probably not when I need a more robust knife but I have found myself pocketing this new knife more right now than the Gerber. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

whalebreath

It's got the French 'Laguiole' or 'Opinel' look-always a good idea to steal something people know.

Crab Pot

Looks like my old switch blade.

I like the wood work on it.
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

David Hall

good looking and hollow ground. if the pins hold and keep the blade tight i dont see how you could go wrong for $26 bucks.  well done.