Issues and Solutions

Started by SoCalAngler, February 29, 2012, 07:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

I was not sure where to put this post so here goes.

I picked up a new stick to fish 25# line and decided to go with a 8' deckhand style rod. With this rod having cork tape and no reel seat I went with a after market reel clamp in order not to tare up the cork wrap. As you can see the stock clamp being so thin it would sooner or later start to break down the cork wrap.

Stock clamp

After market clamp

Issue solved, so I thought.

When I installed the reel onto the rod I found that the aftermarket reel clamp wrapped around the grip further making the nuts that attach the clamp to reel posts screw further onto the posts. In order to screw the nuts down enough to hold the reel secure to the rod the posts would be flush or stick a little past the nuts.

Well I have seen this issue before and I have also seen a few different ways to over come it. Did I want to cut down the posts a bit? No, because if I fish this reel on another rod with a reel seat and have to use the stock reel clamp, the nuts would barely thread onto the posts then. Place a stack of washers onto the posts? Nope, with my luck the first time I went to attach the reel to the rod I would drop the washers onto the deck to never to be seen again. Notch a blade screw driver? Maybe, I have seen this done many times but there has to be a easier way.

Then it came to me, a spanner bit.

These bits are used to drive spanner head screws. This type of screw I have seen used mostly on elevator button panels, but will it work?

I looked at a few hardware stores but either they did not have them or the span was not wide enough to fit over the reel posts. I looked on line and found one place in my area that carried the largest size, I think they make. So I went down with reel in hand and the clerk was nice enough to open up the bit package of size #14 and what do you know? It fit perfectly.

After taking the bit home I measured it and the inside gap was 3/16 of an inch. I don't know if any others have had this issue before or if you will in the future. If you do this little bit may solve a issue for you also.

wallacewt

Irish Jigger

That Cork Puppy grip is a good idea. I keep a Stanley stubby screwdriver (with slotted  blade) in my tackle box to remove these nuts.
Great pics btw.

Bryan Young

I gotta get one of those.  I have one rod that needs it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

Irish,

Did you have to notch the blade? I carry a stubby with my tackle also but in this case the posts went through the nut too far to be able to tighten the nuts all the way.

Irish Jigger

SoCal, Yes I  had to notch the blade x1/4" which usually meets my needs without having to shorten the screws.

SoCalAngler

I was thinking about notching a screw dirver also but could only find the stubby's in 1/4" and with the gap I needed to span of 3/16" that would of left 1/32" to play with on each side of the 1/4" blade. When looking around the 5/16" drivers are much bigger and the only one I did find that was kind of like a stubby was a Craftsman. This driver had the 5/16" blade and the stubby length of the shaft but it had a large handle. I'm thinking that most manufactures of the 5/16" drivers keep them larger due to the torque needed to drive such large screws. Anyway the bit's cost was under 3.00 USD and no notching required.

Bryan Young

SoCal,

Man, you got into my head.  I was thinking and thinking the the light bulb went off.  We use those spanner bits at work all of the time, and though you had a good idea.  Then, when I was looking at some of the reels that I was servicing, wow, thought that's a great idea.  I have those bits already, but never though of using them on fishing reels.  Okay, I'm a little slow on the uptake...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

SoCal -
The bit you're showing looks like one out of a set of bits I picked up at Harbor Freight. It's one of many in their "Security Bits" set that includes Torx, hollow allen heads, and many of the other goofy ones found here and there. They go on sale now and then and I've found the set handy. My 2 cents.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

SoCalAngler

Yep checked Harbor Freight the the largest spanner bit they had in all of the sets which had spanners in them was a size #12 and I had already tried a #12 at another location and knew that would not fit, but thanks for the heads up anyway. The size #14 is much more rare, so if you look for this bit make sure the place has it before you head down. It will save you time, I wish I had.

Irish Jigger

Quote from: SoCalAngler on March 01, 2012, 06:04:25 AM
I was thinking about notching a screw dirver also but could only find the stubby's in 1/4" and with the gap I needed to span of 3/16" that would of left 1/32" to play with on each side of the 1/4" blade. When looking around the 5/16" drivers are much bigger and the only one I did find that was kind of like a stubby was a Craftsman. This driver had the 5/16" blade and the stubby length of the shaft but it had a large handle. I'm thinking that most manufactures of the 5/16" drivers keep them larger due to the torque needed to drive such large screws. Anyway the bit's cost was under 3.00 USD and no notching required.

Had a similar problem . Stubby was 5/16" at widest part,ground it back and slotted it 3/16"x 1/4"deep. Looks flimsy but works.
The Craftsman bit and driver is the way to go if you can find the right bit.

SoCalAngler

The Crafstman was a blade/slotted driver only, no changing of the bits and it still would of needed to be notched. The handle looked to be about 4" long a little too big for what I needed.