bearing removal

Started by floating doc, February 29, 2012, 02:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

floating doc

Quote from: Irish Jigger on March 15, 2012, 02:09:45 PM
Congratulations, perseverance pay's off. ;D ;D
Now for that stubborn bearing. Boil it/freeze it you know you can do it. ;)

It's in the freezer right now! I went online to see what was happening while I let it chill, and found these posts.

After it gets good and cold, I'm going to gently heat the outside of the bearing cup with a tiny propane soldering torch. Since it will be in the side plate, I'll have to be cautious how much heat I use. I'm still worried about damaging the side plate.

As for the stainless gear sleeve, I would put one in this reel now, but they're not in stock at mysticparts.com right now. I would put one in this reel and my 990.

I would love to upgrade the drags as well, but as Alan pointed out, the main gear isn't designed to have the tabs from the metal washers go all the way down the sides of the gear.  I don't know that I would take a dremel to one of these unobtanium gears. Without the upgraded drag, the stainless gear sleeve is likely not needed (wouldn't stop me from installing one though).

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Central Florida