Main Gear Won't Engauge

Started by Crab Pot, June 19, 2023, 09:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurelometer

Mebbe jtwill is on to something.

The spacer  (key #9) goes on the shaft at the TOP (handle side) of the stack, right underneath the star (the same as in the schematic at Mystic Reel Parts).  Same for all classic Penn star drags.  There is a larger  diameter hole in the sideplate, so it cannot affect attaching the bridge to the sideplate if assembled in the correct order. The spacer's purpose is to  transfer the load from the star to the drag stack.

If you post a photo of the bridge and main gear assembled, it might help.

Gfish

Jtwill98 and Dave may have it. The gear train on a Penn should always be engaged; pinion to main. Is the drag stack solid when the star is torqued down? That's your connection from the handle to the main gear
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mikeysm

Does the ecentric spring belong on the other side. The eccentric is in the wrong position it look like.

Crab Pot

Sorry for the delay in response, I have one of those job things, I know a bad word to some of you retired guys!

(I hope to join you in about 3-5 years)

The spacer ID'd as #9 on the Mystic Schematic, Penn part number 9-66, was on the outside of the reel next to the star drag when I bought it as a parts reel. There was never an inside spacer. It was never right but did turn the spool reluctantly when I got.

I've tried to put #9 on the inside but the bridge plate was so high the upper and lower bridge screws couldn't reach the bridge. Maybe I did something wrong? Also when I tried it left an open hole exposing the drag stack to the elements. I don't see an outer bushing/sleave on the Mystic Schematic between the drag stack and the drag star, yet all my other Senators have one. I think that's my problem (?). I'm missing that chrome sleave. 

Does anyone know which part number or size that is on a 3/0? It's not shown on schematic.
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

thorhammer

have you got a jigmaster or any other older Penn conventional? may not be exact but pull the spacer and try it. they should all pretty much fit the sleeve of that reel, maybe different length as there are several lengths to get exact travel  but you can at least lock it down and see if it engages.

JasonGotaProblem

I think it's this guy 2nd from right up top
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

ExcessiveAngler

Wait a minute!
I think you have the bridge screws mixed up!
This happened to me with my mag power 970!
There's two specific screws out of the four, that have to go into the bridge a certain way!
I accidentally mixed them up and I remember something not working correctly!
There should be two shorter ones and two longer ones!
I remember after I swapped them around, everything was fine!
I just also went and looked and remember somebody changing the spacing sleeve on the reel, with the wrong one as well!
I also took the reel apart, the way I received it!
And that was no Bueno lol!
Or I could just be wrong lol!

jurelometer

Quote from: Crab Pot on June 20, 2023, 11:25:52 PMThe spacer ID'd as #9 on the Mystic Schematic, Penn part number 9-66, was on the outside of the reel next to the star drag when I bought it as a parts reel. There was never an inside spacer. It was never right but did turn the spool reluctantly when I got.

There is no such part as an inside spacer. There is a hard flat washer that goes between the gear sleeve and the bottom of the main gear.

QuoteI've tried to put #9 on the inside but the bridge plate was so high the upper and lower bridge screws couldn't reach the bridge. Maybe I did something wrong? Also when I tried it left an open hole exposing the drag stack to the elements. I don't see an outer bushing/sleave on the Mystic Schematic between the drag stack and the drag star, yet all my other Senators have one. I think that's my problem (?). I'm missing that chrome sleave. 

That chrome sleeve is the spacer #9.

Does anyone know which part number or size that is on a 3/0? It's not shown on schematic.
[/quote]
P/N 9-66

If you look at that video you posted, right around the 12:30 mark, you can see watch one being installed.

Here is a step by step from Alan on a standard (black)  Senator reel.  About half way through, you can see the main gear assembly parts in the proper order.

https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,44.0.html

Crab Pot

Jason,

Those look like part 136 on the Mystic Schematic but my reel drag stack is not accessible from the outside.

But thanks for looking!

ExcessiveAngler,

No that's not it but it's absolutely something I would do... :o

jurelometer,

I'll go look at that.

#9 sure looks like it's on the inside according to the schematic. The one I have, and I'm not saying it's right, rests on the side plate and not on the drag stack.

It think I bought a Franken-Reel. I'm ready to make a parts order and see where that takes me.

All I know is it's a good thing I'm at my desk and not in the garage because this thing would be imbedded in the wall by now.

jurelometer

Schematic is correct.

Crab Pot

The one in my reel is not the one below.

Here is the part I ordered off Mystic.

Mystery solved, I hope.

mikeysm

Your eccentric spring is on the wrong side. It should be on the left side. I will pull the cover on mine today to show you.

jurelometer

Quote from: mikeysm on June 22, 2023, 04:42:08 PMYour eccentric spring is on the wrong side. It should be on the left side. I will pull the cover on mine today to show you.

Isn't the eccentric spring anchored in different spots depending on the model, and whether the Senator is a high speed model or not?

And I think that we have established that if  the main gear is not turning with the gear sleeve, the eccentric will not be the problem, at least not the current problem.

-J

Crab Pot

mikeysm,

Pretty sure I got the eccentric spring in the only place it can go?

mikeysm

You have a 112H you need a 11-99 eccentric jack. The same as the jigmaster. The eccentric jack you have is for a older model.