Newell bar ?

Started by BogueSounder, February 29, 2012, 05:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BogueSounder

Hi Folks,
A newbie here. I have rebuilt / upgraded the drags on 6 of my old penns with the help of this group - thank you all (my wife does not thank you at all)! This is addictive...almost if not worse than fishing itself???

I just purchased a Penn 140 converted to a 146. It has an aluminum spool and solid cross bars that I assume are Newell. I think this is going to be a great reel for me. I have never actually owned a Newell reel and was wondering if you could help me determine the make of the spool (Penn or Newell) and the bars (Newell I assume?).

I am going to attach some pics of the cross bars and the spool to see if you have any idea based on markings or lack thereof.  While I read the Newell bars are aluminum, they feel more like composite with concealed aluminum going through the location of stock penn bars. It does have a sliver of an aluminum rod exposed on the bottom. No markings on the back.

The spool does have the line tie pin in the middle of the spool if that is any indication as well.

And for the pain, the side plate is cracked right at the drag stack...ugh. So now I'm on the hunt for that...always something I guess. Other than that crack, the reel is in great shape.

So, any thoughts on the parts ID? Thank you again for your help. Excellent forum!

Mark

alantani

the bars are newell, not sure about the spool.

i have a beat up side plate i can send you.  send a pm with your shipping info if you'd like it. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BogueSounder

Alan,
Thank you Alan for the response and your offer. I will send you a PM.

At the risk of sounding like a fool, I'll ramble on a bit more about these parts. 

I am still wondering about the materials that Newell bars are constructed of? Mine are clearly not anodized aluminum, but something else. The seem like graphite over two concealed or molded support posts (I haven't taken them off the rings yet). Are the larger reel Newell bars solid aluminum? I have a few 500's with stock solid aluminum bars - totally different.

And while it doesn't really matter but I'm not certain on the spool make either. 

Supportive Penn spool evidence:
-I have not seen a Newell spool with the line tie pin - but several Penn aluminum reels seem to have them
-It seems many Newell spools often have 6 small pinhead sized bumps  (3 over, 3 under in rows) and occasionally a CN for the late Mr. Carl Newell. My spool has no markings other than 2 small bumps.

Supportive Newell spool evidence:
-There are no penn part numbers on it like other penn aluminum spools I own. 
-It would make sense that a previous owner bought the entire Newell conversion kit.

Regardless...it will make a fine reel and fish well. New drag washers, new sleeve, and maybe handle and I'll be set.

Thank you,
Mark

redfish12

Definitely Newell bars. Possibly Graphite? The spool may be Penn, Newell has a different bump pattern usually. I just picked up a 140 and a used Newell Kit (spool, bars, seat, and clamp) and serviced it. The reel was in rough shape and needed both bearings removed (which was a pain!!!) but it's good to go now!

Caranx

Looks like a Penn spool to me. I don't think any other manufacturer makes posts like that other than Newell.

George4741

BTW, I think the Newell bars are upside down.  The chrome edge prevents the line from cutting in the graphite.
viurem lliures o morirem

john2244

Just opened up a Squidder 146 with a Newell base and bars.  The spool is also a Newell ( has "CN" stamped on the end) , your spool for sure is a Penn spool.

Caranx

Quote from: George4741 on March 04, 2012, 03:27:49 AM
BTW, I think the Newell bars are upside down.  The chrome edge prevents the line from cutting in the graphite.

Good catch George4741.  I actually never seen a newell post like that (no evidence of a Newell emblem while being graphite). I think that chrome edge is a stainless steel bar recessed on the edge like the G series to prevent chaffing like you stated.

George4741

Quote from: Caranx on March 04, 2012, 07:33:12 AM
Good catch George4741.  I actually never seen a newell post like that (no evidence of a Newell emblem while being graphite). I think that chrome edge is a stainless steel bar recessed on the edge like the G series to prevent chaffing like you stated.

Hmm, I thought those Newell bars were common.  I have a set on my 501 jigmaster and another for a 145 width squidder.
viurem lliures o morirem

Caranx

I stand corrected, I have no experience with the narrow versions of Newell conversion kits that are made of graphite.

BogueSounder

Thank you for the tips and info. I will switch the bars to right side up. I had wondered about that, makes perfect sense when someone else tells you!

Many thanks,
Mark