Got the last reel to complete my Mariner collection

Started by Crab Pot, June 24, 2023, 06:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

Last of my Mariner collection arrived this week, the 349, which I got off Ebay for $50 shipped from Boston.

It took better pictures that what I got but after a bit of elbow grease add reattaching the drag release eccentric spring it came out really nice and looks great on my man cave shelf.

Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Keta

You still need a maroon single lever 349H. 

I have a single lever black 349H and a left hand 349 but have never seen either again.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Crab Pot

Quote from: Keta on June 24, 2023, 07:32:45 PMYou still need a maroon single lever 349H. 

I have a single lever black 349H and a left hand 349 but have never seen either again.

Keta, I'm a Black Side Plate collector.

Though I do have many Red Side Plate reels...  ::)

Keta

I collect 349s of any color.  My factory LH one is a one lever black reel but I made stainless steel LH AR dogs and have a maroon LH single lever. 

I traded a excelent maroon Jigmaster 500 for the factory LH 349H with a cracked sideplate and badly corroded rings and feel I cheated the person in the deal.  It now has a set of new sideplates, rings, base and eccentric lever.

The maroon franken 349H has one of my 7 CF drag stacks, a 113H SS gearsleeve and one of Ted's excelent handle and arm on it.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

akfish

What about a 249? It was a short lived narrow spool direct drive reel.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Crab Pot

Quote from: akfish on June 25, 2023, 08:33:20 PMWhat about a 249? It was a short lived narrow spool direct drive reel.

I'll look it up.

Keta

Mark Twain

Swami805

They do exist. Direct drive, not much to them
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Keta

Mark Twain

Crab Pot

Deepennz

Hi Crabpot,
The #249 was introduced in 1939 - that is a nice example of a '39 model from Swami above! - and remained in production until the late 1950's.
In the late '40's the vendor even had a choice of Double, or Triple multiplying!!
A must for every collection!!
Cheers
Martin

Crab Pot

Quote from: Crab Pot on June 25, 2023, 10:48:41 PM
Quote from: akfish on June 25, 2023, 08:33:20 PMWhat about a 249? It was a short lived narrow spool direct drive reel.

I'll look it up.

Well my wife is very disappointed that my collection of mariners isn't complete and gave me the green light to find.

Didn't tell her I was already searching...  >:D

Cuttyhunker

b249-4.jpgb249-5.jpgb249-2.jpgb249-6.jpg
The 249 was the only (I think) 49 series reel that went out as a trade reel.  This is my L.L. Bean version.
Doomed from childhood

Deepennz

Hi,
FYI - Penn produced one other '49'series trade reel - In the late 1950's Penn made the "J C Higgins" series of trade reels for Sears Department stores.
The J C Higgins 304-42170 is a Penn 149 clone - usually found with a cream or green handle. These are often found in very good/unused condition, partly (I assume) because reel fishermen tend to buy their gear from sports stores, not Department stores!!
Cheers
Martin

Crab Pot

My pockets are not deep enough to collect rebranded Penn's!

But I love learning about the history.

Thanks for sharing.

Steve