Metal Drag Washer Questions

Started by drichitt, February 29, 2012, 05:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drichitt

I thought I understood what is happening to a typical metal drag washer over time, but now I am a little confused. For discussion purposes I am talking about the metal washers (eared/keyed) in a Senator drag system. I thought that they tended to become cupped over time. I could tell easiest my quickly rubbing each side of a washer on a honing stone; one side will show the stone cleaned the surface around the outer edges of the washer, while on the flip side the contact with the stone occurs around the center of the washer.

Question - How do you know when you need to replace a metal washer (or generally all, if needed?)?

The reason I ask is because I just took a brand new set of washers (from Scott's) and subjected them to my honing stone test and, to a certain degree, they are cupped as well. Are they suppose to be slightly cupped? And if so, I would guess they should each be facing the same way when re-installed.

Floor is open.....and thanks for all responses!

Keta

Metal drag washers are stamped and they tend to be slightly cupped from the process.  If your top washer is thicker and ridged cupping from use is reduced.  On my personal Penn reels I hone the washers to make them flat but I'm careful to make sure the sides remain parallel and measure in several places and often with a micrometer.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

lee is much more careful about these than i am.  i figure under all that pressure. the metal washers will flatten out and you won't be able to tell!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

um, to actually answer the question, though, i always install them "cupped down."   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

drichitt

Ok...what I understand so far is:
Even new, these metal washers have a very slight cup to them and they should be installed "cupped down"

Back to Metal washers 101:
How do you know when it is time to change a metal washer?
If you need to change them, do you typically change them all?

I can remember the guy who use to clean my reels, before I learned how to on my own (Thanks to Alan & Company); he would charge me for new metal washers every other service. Was I getting ripped off? :-\

Bryan Young

For what it's worth, I have never changed any metal washers on any reels that I serviced unless I'm upgrading to 5+1 from 3+1 for example.  never saw a need.  Old ones that had that rubber stuff stuck to it because it got too hot, just used a brush buffing wheel to take that crud off and back it went.

You may be doing some serious fishing (heat in the drags), but I have yet to see a warped metal drag washer.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

drichitt

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 01, 2012, 01:19:48 AM
You may be doing some serious fishing (heat in the drags)

Not at all.  >:(

Thank you very much guys. This has been a big help to me. Can't believe it hadn't figured this out before now. Anyone want to buy a much of metal drag washers ;D

Keta

I clean them and if my fingernail catches on the scoring I replace them.  I haven't seen greased carbon drags score the metal washers yet.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

dogdad1

Perfect!  Very pertinent timing.  I was just wondering the same thing, after noticing that some of my washers were cupped a bit more than others.  I'd figured they were probably stamped, but didn't know if the inevitable cupping should be taken into account when re-installing them with the others... ie, () or maybe (( or )(.  In fact, it took me awhile to realize I didn't have a clue on my own and was about to ask here.  Voila, my answer awaits. 

You guys are GOOD!
"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

George4741

Quote from: drichitt on March 01, 2012, 01:41:40 AM
Anyone want to buy a much of metal drag washers ;D

If you have any for Penn 349's or 130 Sailfishers, I'll take them all. ;D
viurem lliures o morirem