Luxor 2 R50-rescue from junk heap

Started by Fishgolfman, June 24, 2023, 09:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishgolfman

Got a luxor 2, mechanically smooth snd oscillates nice. Gears quiet. The bail is snapped off and i am thinking of making it a pum reel. Cannot remove rotor? Whats the trick? I can remove shaft from cross wind oscillator block. Help please. Not much on internet on this size. The 1 and 3 size has lots of information. Th Crack 200 is similar size but very different.

Fishgolfman

How do I remove rotor to work on underneath where anti reverse and bail system is? No schematic. Looking for suggestions. I removed bail and cross wind and bearing cap which was felt and clip over bearings. Still not obvious

Midway Tommy

I haven't worked on NO 2 but have disassembled the A & a couple of smaller ones. On those you have to remove the main shaft tube to remove the rotor. You might start by removing the screw that holds the main shaft tube in place at the rear of it and see if you can work the rotor back and forth to pull that tube out the front. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Fishgolfman

Worked Tommy. Removing screw on bottom of tube and penetrating oil loosened the tube. See pictures. Note bail spring system. Will have to think of a way to attach bail to end. Perhaps micro screw and tap? Other bail end is fine. Make it a pum reel?? Wait for a bail from a donor reel. Thoughts?

Midway Tommy

I wish I could help, Stephen, but I think the missing bail parts may be a real tough find.  ::)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Fishgolfman

Agree. Tough find. Will try to save and keep as it should be originally vs me modifying it to a pum.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Fishgolfman on June 30, 2023, 11:48:04 AMAgree. Tough find. Will try to save and keep as it should be originally vs me modifying it to a pum.

Sometimes, though, a guy just has to do what he has to do.  ???

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Walter61

I checked mine and I have a P&M Luxor Supreme No. 2 R found. Apparently they had a little trouble with the bail arm. My bail arm was tinkered with on the other side.
Attach some pictures.

Fishgolfman

The picture was very helpful! My bail is broken on the roller side the pin came out of the bail attached to rotor. Someone tried some metal glue. If i could get a fine screw and tap, i might be able to have a full bail vs a pum. The other side is intact

Fishgolfman

Was able to access rotor bottom. See pictures. I removed the weight system to see a complicated spring system. The bail pivots on a shaft running across the rotor thru a spring. The spring system seems frozen which is probably why bail broke at the fused site. I was able to drill and tap a screw into the cam shaft. The challenge is why it's frozen in almost 45 deg position. I can't move the tube going across thru spring system. A picture of anti reverse system is included. Will have to clean reel well before putting together Suggestions??? Don't want to mess with springs.

Fishgolfman

Don't want to resort to buying a luxor 2 on ebay to figure out bail spring system.

Gfish

Interesting spinner. Are the pinion supposed look like that or are they rounded-off?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Fishgolfman

The reel is smooth. Dont know if pinion worn but meshes well with gear! I may have to buy another Luxor 2 R on ebay!!!

Walter61

I opened my reel, maybe this will help you.
But I think it's a different model of the Supreme from the time point of view.
You can see that nothing has been done for a long time. So I'm doing a cleaning right away.
Here are some pictures:

Fishgolfman

The shaft with spring. Does it move easily ie pivots? Mine is frozen. That is reason the bail broke. I was able to drill and tap shaft! Do you know if the shaft can by removed?