Squidder 140 spool questions

Started by Flat Top, June 25, 2023, 06:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Quote from: Flat Top on June 29, 2023, 06:43:38 PMThat is remarkable.....I wonder how the Newell spool compares in weight to the plastic spool....if I didnt have mine full of line I could weigh it.

Squidder 140 plastic spool weighs 2.4 oz
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Flat Top

Sounds like the Newell spool is a winner....near the weight of plastic and twice (at least) the strength. May be worth the investment if I decide I want to really reach out there. I will use what I have and go from there...........
Overkill....is way underrated.

Maxed Out

Keep in mind, I gave you comparison weights for jigmaster spools. The squidder Newell spool will weigh less than the jigmaster Newell spool because the squidder spool is smaller diameter

Flat Top

jurelometer

Newell made both "graphite' and aluminum spools.  Don't know if they offered both for the Squidder.  But the graphite spools are the magic ones, IMHO.

-J

ExcessiveAngler

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned anything, about trying to add some sort of mag to this reel, especially with having an aluminum spool already there!
The plastic spools, you can actually hear them hum inside the reel, from the fins, but hope you have an educated thumb!
I've literally burned my thumb off, trying to slow down some of these reels midflight!
The crisscross pattern works very well with the braid, to help against digging in too!
I have much better luck, casting with monofilament, but have braid on some of my casting reels as well too!
As to the reason, you never really hear  braided lines setting any records, is very simple lol! In just about every professional distance casting tournament association across the world, they are simply not recognize or allowed to be used!
Monofilament only, must use a shock leader and mainline, all set to different parameters and diameters, for different casting classes and categories!
All the lines get measured and you must use leads, that are provided by whatever association you're casting with!
So basically, they all cast out and walk over and lay their rods down on top of one another, until everybody's done casting and gets their cast measured!
Then they all walk out together, while reeling in, to retrieve their leads, and must find any leads, that have cracked off!
Now, can you imagine everybody doing that with braided lines?  And all the monofilament lines must be high visibility!
Imagine casting out and losing 2 to 300 yards of braided line, 3 or four times?
That would be insanely costly, not to imagine, trying to find them and how easy they tangle with each other, when they're super thin!

Swami805

Never seen graphite newell spools for squidders, they made a few by mistake for jigmaster 500s.  Love to get my hands on a graphite 140 spool or 146 even better
Do what you can with that you have where you are

jurelometer

Quote from: Swami805 on June 30, 2023, 01:19:43 AMNever seen graphite newell spools for squidders, they made a few by mistake for jigmaster 500s.  Love to get my hands on a graphite 140 spool or 146 even better

Or instead of a 146, you could pick up a Newell 220 with a graphite spool, and have  something like an Accurate Magnum Squidder, only better - and very light.  Higher speed gears and all. I bought a 220 for a frame project that never got going, but now I lurve that 220 more than any other reel that I own.  Even if it has the aesthetics of Cold War era Soviet military issue :)

-J

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Maxed Out

Flat Top

Jurelometer; I did a search for Penn Squidder 140 Graphite Spool...but had no luck.

ExcessiveAngler; I have watched casting competitions (video's) but did not know that mono was mandatory. 300+ yards is impressive, and I believe they need to "stay between the lines" when they do it...not a lot of room for error. Talented group of people. I believe that braid, will outcast mono, but not sure of that because up to this point I have used nothing but Dacron and modern braid. I have my new Squidder spooled with 30 lb mono (dia .017) and with 40 lb braid (dia .016) so that right there is a plus....greater strength/same diameter with the braid...less wind resistance with braid as well.....or so it is said. I have an educated thumb...can cast my Delmar and Long Beach reels with no issues, and when I get the occasion birds nest I can free it up with no problem...took me longer to learn how to do that than it did to educate my thumb.

Swami805; IMPRESSIVE collection.....and I am sure you fish every one of them?

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: Swami805 on June 30, 2023, 04:07:41 AMYeah I like Newells too
Lordy, Lordy lol!
Quite an impressive collection there!
I would have to say that's an understatement for sure lol!
Seems more like you're addicted to them, if you ask me lol!
Damn, that's a lot of Newell reels, right there! I don't think I've seen that many  together, at one time lol!
Didn't even realize they manufactured them in that many colors, either!
What are the purple custom reels, I really like those!

jurelometer

Quote from: Flat Top on June 30, 2023, 12:57:38 PMI have my new Squidder spooled with 30 lb mono (dia .017) and with 40 lb braid (dia .016) so that right there is a plus....greater strength/same diameter with the braid...

Another can of worms. Unlike mono, PE braid diameter doesn't mean much, because it changes as it is stretched and squished to be measured,  and it flattens out as well - so no round cross section. There is a Japanese industry standard PE rating (I can't find out the methodology) that helps you estimate spool capacity, and compare one braid against another, but not against mono. 

Using spool capacity is a better gauge of the relative thickness of the lines.  Just guessing, but 40 pound solid braid  probably gives you somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.5 to 3 times the capacity of 30 pound mono.  There are folk here that probably have a more accurate estimate.

I think that it is pretty well accepted that 20 pound is the ideal mono for casting and fishing with a Squidder.  The reel is not strong enough to take advantage of 30, 20 casts farther, and the capacity is about right.  Braid is going to be a compromise between usability, casting distance, and avoiding putting an insane amount of line on the reel. I would expect that if you asked for recommendations, 65 would be more common.

Let us know your impressions after casting!

-J

Flat Top

Jurelometer;

KastKing says their 40lb  Super Power is .012 dia.  I measure it as it comes off the spool and comes out at about .016 or so......I am sure the factory testing methodology is at play and they measure the diameter under load and repeated settling of the fibers, as most braided lines are measured. Just for grins I took my 40 lb Super Power and stretched and relaxed it a few times to let the fibers settle and put 10 lbs of tension on the braid and it measured .013. I let the test piece sit for about a half hour...remeasured and it was back to .016......evidently the KastKing factory uses the standard procedure for measuring braid line that is used industry wide.

I will keep you posted on my success, or lack of it, after I give the reel a good work out.

jurelometer

Quote from: Flat Top on June 30, 2023, 09:03:41 PMJurelometer;

KastKing says their 40lb  Super Power is .012 dia.  I measure it as it comes off the spool and comes out at about .016 or so......I am sure the factory testing methodology is at play and they measure the diameter under load and repeated settling of the fibers, as most braided lines are measured. Just for grins I took my 40 lb Super Power and stretched and relaxed it a few times to let the fibers settle and put 10 lbs of tension on the braid and it measured .013. I let the test piece sit for about a half hour...remeasured and it was back to .016......evidently the KastKing factory uses the standard procedure for measuring braid line that is used industry wide.

I will keep you posted on my success, or lack of it, after I give the reel a good work out.

Mono is hard and consistently round, so it has an actual useful diameter.  Braid is a loose weave, not hard, and not round, so it has no diameter. No circle, no diameter.  Math is a cruel master :)  They make something up and call it a diameter.  They probably figure out which diameter of mono would fill the same spool with roughly the same number of yards as the braid, and provide that as the braid's "effective diameter" with some sort of fudge factor to meet their product marketing goals. The "equivalent mono" column in those tables that they are so fond of match up with this theory.

But you can't measure the external dimensions of braid at home or in a factory, and get an actual diameter. Unlike mono, the area of a cross section of braid is highly variable.

PE rating is the way to go.  I wish is was listed more frequently.

Looking forward to your casting findings.  If you have a chance, put a 80 yard topshot of 20lb mono on one of the spools and give that a go as well.

-J