New 60nld2 review and question

Started by Paul O, June 27, 2023, 03:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul O

I'm new to this forum and some of this information is a repeat of a post I made at the beginners board.
I recently went on a three day trip on the searcher out of San Diego. This was my first experience catching blue fin tuna. I loaned a friend my new fathom 2 60lds2 the first night, and I fished it myself the next two nights. My friend landed 3 fish the first night and I landed one fish on each of the next two nights, for a total of 5 blue fin, ranging from 40 to 80 pounds.
I'm happy with the performance of the reel. I had the reel spooled with 100 pound 8 strand metered braid topped with a 100' of 100 pound mono. I pre set the drag at strike to 25 pound of a straight fast pull on a spring scale. I never felt the need to go to all the way to strike with the 70 to 80 pound grade of fish I caught. It was nice to know I had more drag if a bigger model happened to bite.
Pros
The biggest plus for this reel for night fishing blu fin is the light weight. The fish were between 400 to 200 feet deep in a current and a stiff breeze which required Jigging a 500 gram jig to prevent too much scope. Jigging all night long that deep with a heavy jig is a chore, and at my age every ounce of weight counted. I don't think there is a reel with that line and drag capacity that is lighter. When the fish were in there death spiral, low gear was a dream. The narrow spool made it easy to hand level the line on the spool (although finger tape on the thumbs was a must).
Cons
There is some play in the handle before it engages. As explained by Mark T, the anti reverse mechanism is a dog and clog causing the play. Understanding the mechanics helps with my confidence in the reel.
The deck hand mentioned he has seen more than one handle "fall off" this model reel. He was busy at the time so I didn't have a chance to ask for details, and like a dummy I forgot to ask him to elaborate when things weren't crazy. I also have seen other similar complaints on the internet without any details, and have heard that an aftermarket handle is recommended. The handle arm does flex under pressure. The only other negative is there are a paint chip or two on the reel. I'm not concerned with cosmetic's, but if you are this would be a consideration.
I plan on doing a long range trip a couple times a year, so I couldn't justify spending hundreds more for a higher quality, and undoubtedly smoother operating reel.
My question is, does anyone know the details of the rumored handle failure. Is it the nob that is falling off, or is the arm falling off the reel? What are the handle replacement options?

Keta

The handles on the FTHII reels are the same as the original FTH reels and I suspect the deck hand does not know what he is talking about.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill B

62B225AC-A878-4028-87DE-BAB31BFCE663.jpegThis is the handle knob on my Fathom II 60NLD2.  The first gen has a football type handle knob.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tunanorth

On some early-production Fathom II's there is some flex in the handle that can lead to issues.
The upgraded handles are due in the PENN service dept in late July.
If you have any kind of issue with your handle, it is covered under warranty, but please wait until after August 1 to send it in.

Paul O

Thanks Tuna north. The handle is comfortable to fish and I have had no issues with it. I'm going on another long range trip at the end of July. I assume the handle issue is just a rumor and fish it as is. Thanks again.