Drilling Spool

Started by Rivverrat, June 28, 2023, 02:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Quote from: oldmanjoe on June 30, 2023, 03:33:55 AM:) Well if the spool side are heavy walled  ,i would chuck it up in a lath and thin it down some .     
    Take material from the pate side , that will keep dirt and water `from entering the insides .
      You might steal a little weight from the arbor , by drilling little pot holes 1/16 inch deep .

Joe, I haven't started this project yet. What you describe is how I would go about it. If it works or fails, I have learned something either way & I'm out nothing more than my time & $20 I paid for the not so great spool... Jeff

Rivverrat

Well now ...

Brendan

That looks good to me.
Brendan.

Rivverrat

Brendan, I didn't do this. I was just showing this as an example of someone else doing what I'm describing.

This is a Tiburon TX4N. This how they work their spools on these kits provided by Randy.

Rivverrat

I will make a note here ... my gut is telling me the more weight that can be removed from the outside edge of spool the more dramatic the effects may be... Jeff

jurelometer

Quote from: Rivverrat on July 04, 2023, 06:57:43 PMI will make a note here ... my gut is telling me the more weight that can be removed from the outside edge of spool the more dramatic the effects may be... Jeff

Correct.  You are essentially trying build something with the opposite properties of a flywheel.  Flywheels are designed to put as much weight as possible as far from the axis as possible, A classic flywheel is large diameter, narrow, with extra mass around the perimeter.  Which is also why narrow reels don't cast as well, BTW. A bit more like a flywheel. 

Rotational inertia = mass*radius2

The better spool takes less energy to start tuning, and has less momentum once turning.  We want the line to be pulled off the spool as fast as the payload is moving during the cast.  No more, no less.

-J

Rivverrat

Dave, I agree. It is in fact a flywheel or a fluid filled  vibration damper I was thinking about . Which brought about my thinking this... Jeff