Drilling Spool

Started by Rivverrat, June 28, 2023, 02:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

OK, fishing older conventional reels I've always wondered if there may be a benefit from a lighter spool.

On reels such as the PG 545, seem to have an over abundance of material or thickness in side walls of the spool.

After some thought & looking at reels of newer Star drag design they have much lighter spools for their size when compared.

I've seen some drill holes in the spool to achieve this. I believe their is a better way.
Any one have experience drilling or making spools lighter ?  What's your thoughts ?  ... Jeff 

MarkT

Buy one of those reels with the lighter spools rather than drilling out your spool!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

jurelometer

Quote from: MarkT on June 28, 2023, 03:12:09 AMBuy one of those reels with the lighter spools rather than drilling out your spool!

Quit being so practical!

But seriously,

Drilling out the spool is something that can be done.  On modern fly reels, there are more holes than metal.  Don't they also make some pretty heavily ported BFS spools too?

The problem is when you get into stronger reels where you need to pack the line tight, especially thin line like braid.  The packed line bulges into the cutouts, which is not good for the line.   It is also can be a bit tricky to get a nice filet or chamfer  where the holes meet the inside of the spool, which makes it even worse for the bulges.

Not sure what holes do to the magnetic field if you also  put in a magnetic cast control.

And finally, the cutouts have to be pretty exact, so that the spool stays balanced for casting.  Sort of hard to pull off.

-J

MarkT

Practical or not, I'm not drilling holes in my 545 spool! If had a second spool that had corrosion, well, maybe! On my one and only? No way!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

jurelometer

I'll drill out your Pro Gear spool for you.  Like, what could possibly go wrong?  Just hold my beer.  :)

Cor

One of my mates drilled a spool and posted it somewhere on this site.   Ill see if I can find it and put a link in his post.

PS   I asked the guy for some details to help me find it, says he lost the photos but will take a new one and try to remember his "screen name", should help me find the thread.
Cornelis

thorhammer

Drilling spools beyond my paygrade, but good to see you posting, Jeff! Love to see some rod builds from you.

philaroman

oh, just drill out spinner spool skirts for weight reduction:
less chance of significant error; no decrease in strength; no contact w/ line 

Maxed Out

Drilling holes in a spinning reel spool is ok, but drilling holes in a conventional reel spool will only invite major corrosion issues directly into the drive train. The 545 is a small reel and not heavy. It's the same size as a 501 jigmaster
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Rivverrat

Quote from: jurelometer on June 28, 2023, 04:24:38 AMI'll drill out your Pro Gear spool for you.  Like, what could possibly go wrong?  Just hold my beer.  :)

Right ! Kind of the reason I'm asking  ;D   I'm Thinking more in the line of machined slots in the spool that don't completely pass through. I've a 545 that's pretty beat up. I'm thinking I can decrease its total weight by a good amount. Without losing any noticeable strength.

I didnt ask this from any reasonable perspective. In the end most times its better to buy newer stuff to achieve better performance as Mark was alluding to7 yes he's right. If thats your perspective. Its just a hobby thing for me. attempting to learn more than I know ... Jeff

philaroman

Quote from: Rivverrat on June 29, 2023, 03:12:18 AM...I'm Thinking more in the line of machined slots in the spool that don't completely pass through.  

how good are your tools & skills?  
identical/symmetrical holes are comparatively easy
much harder to remove precisely same weight of metal 
for identical/symmetrical slots/divots to keep a casting spool balanced

Rivverrat

Quote from: MarkT on June 28, 2023, 03:12:09 AMBuy one of those reels with the lighter spools rather than drilling out your spool!

Your no fun  ;D

Rivverrat

Quote from: philaroman on June 29, 2023, 04:50:39 AM
Quote from: Rivverrat on June 29, 2023, 03:12:18 AM...I'm Thinking more in the line of machined slots in the spool that don't completely pass through. 

how good are your tools & skills? 
identical/symmetrical holes are comparatively easy
much harder to remove precisely same weight of metal
for identical/symmetrical slots/divots to keep a casting spool balanced
Spool would be worked on a mill.

oldmanjoe

:) Well if the spool side are heavy walled  ,i would chuck it up in a lath and thin it down some .     
    Take material from the pate side , that will keep dirt and water `from entering the insides .
      You might steal a little weight from the arbor , by drilling little pot holes 1/16 inch deep .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Rivverrat

Quote from: thorhammer on June 28, 2023, 11:14:25 AMDrilling spools beyond my paygrade, but good to see you posting, Jeff! Love to see some rod builds from you.

Missed your post. Thanx ! ...Jeff