Reel Repair Work Bench Organization

Started by Crab Pot, June 30, 2023, 05:08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

Ok, I'm new to reel maintenance, repairs, and building but my wife is already tired of my work area being the dinning room table.

I'd like to see how you "Pro's" organize your work stations/benches to get some inspiration.

Thanks
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Brewcrafter

tough question to ask; it has a lot to do with "scope".  If you are doing this or thinking of doing this as a business your needs are 100% different than most of us.  For myself as a hobbyist, here is what I think is important:
An area to work.  I have my workbench.  It handles many projects that may or may not be fishing related but the important thing is that it is a sacred space - I decide what goes where.
Tools.  Organized tools.  You need to know what you have, and where. 
Parts - This is the tricky part.  I do NOT do this as a business, but I save odd parts from reel builds, etc.  It is Critical in my mind is to A - Have Stuff labelled (part #, description) and have it in a meaningful order where you can find it (looking for a Penn gear in a bunch of Mitchell parts - waste of time).  You are going to see a lot of input to this thread and keep in mind it does not matter the value of a part (or a tool) if you cannot find it - it is zero.  I am sure Fred will comment, and while most of us cannot comprehend organization of old parts on that level, he and the other Old Reel Gurus on this site realize that if you have it and cannot find it that it's useless and has no value.  Long story short, tossing parts in a box will eventually come back to haunt you...  For me, my extra reel parts are all enveloped by part and part#, but again as I am a hobbiest and do not do this for a living they pretty much fill up a milk crate. - john

philaroman

https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,16672.90.html

...or, you can just search AT for "organization" [by user] "foakes"
you'll prob. find every old topic that way
even if Fred didn't start it, he likely replied something poignant

Crab Pot

I'm a hobbyist and a new one at that.

I do tag and bag my old parts.

I'm thinking about a tray style that I can move around, happy wife happy life, for now like I do with my fly tying station.

Till I find something dedicated.

Crab Pot

Quote from: philaroman on June 30, 2023, 02:12:59 PMhttps://alantani.com/index.php/topic,16672.90.html

...or, you can just search AT for "organization" [by user] "foakes"
you'll prob. find every old topic that way
even if Fred didn't start it, he likely replied something poignant

I searched work bench.

Thanks for the link.

Bill B

As John stated, a dedicated work area is a must.  My bench is multi-use however my tools used for reels are all within arms reach.  Same for oil and grease.  Your work bench can be as big or small as your work area provides.  Unfortunately running water is down a flight of stairs.  So I improvised and have a 5 gallon sports water barrel in the shop for mixing water soluble cleaners and rinsing parts when done.  A 30 gallon trash can doubles as a trash can and catch basin for the water.

One thing most people forget to mention is a comfortable chair or stool to sit on.  I can knock out a star drag in no time but lever drags have me sitting for 2 hours.  Oh yeah the beer fridge is a couple steps away  :d   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Crab Pot

Quote from: Bill B on June 30, 2023, 02:46:26 PMOh yeah the beer fridge is a couple steps away  :d 

I like the way you think Bill!

Got some inspiration off the link posted above.

Gfish

Tools: I put mine in various sizes of cups and glasses. Standing-up reduces the surface area needed and similar implements(such as various types of pliers) will be in the same container. Tall stuff in back, short items in front.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JasonGotaProblem

Im not nearly organized enough for any of the brilliant ideas you'll likely hear, I've just accepted that my garage's natural rhythm will be to get cleaned, get disorganized, and get clean again.

But I've improved a bit by setting reasonable goals. Like, i know for a fact I'm just not gonna put a drill bit back in its little box in the correct slot. I'm just not. I don't have the attention span for it. But ive been able to stick to things like "it's a drill bit, put it in the drill bit bin." And "oh that ones a dremel bit, different bin." And when i need a bit, i just need to find the bin.

And just small stuff like that has increased the stretches I can go between cleanings.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Midway Tommy

I'm fortunate enough to live in the part of the country that exploits and enjoys basements. Also, fortunately, ours is a walkout so I can head out to the back patio any time I feel like it. I took over an entire bedroom with windows, etc., in the lower level. It's conditioned year round, AC in the summer and Heat in the winter so I'm in hog heaven. Heck, I don't even have to pick things up if I'm in the middle of servicing a reel, I can just close the door if need be.   ;D   :d
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)