teflon grease

Started by GT, February 29, 2012, 11:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GT

Dear guys,

does any teflon-based grease is ok to be used for drag washers?
what should I check before using one grease which is not meant for fishing reels?

here in italy is almost impossible to find Cal's grease...

Thanks

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

GT

alantani

morten is out local lubes expert.  i was hoping he would chime in.  i am guessing that pretty much any teflon lube would work, but it would be important that the product be pure teflon and have no hydrocarbons in the mix.  i would rather see you use cal's grease, but try the other product if that is all you can get.

GT

alantani

italy, right?  you can probably get some cal's grease from smoothdrag.com.  the nice lady that owns that site can ship internationally.  alan

Killerbug

Hi GT,

If you just need a smaller volume of grease, the essayist is just to order some from Smoothdrag.  Dawn ship to Europe, and you have
some stuff in a few days that works perfectly well.

At the moment I am using Magnalube-G, it's a very cheap Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) product than can be used instead of Calls.  How good this product really is, only time will tel, but it looks promising so far.  If you like to experiment, there are quite a few industrial products out there that can be purchased cheap, not in tackle shops though, but in stores specialized in industrial lubrication's.  

NB. If you a entering the wonderful world of lubes, notice that only the Dupont cooperation is allowed to use the brand name Teflon for their
products, other uses PTFE as description for the same substance(Polytetrafluoroethylene).  PTFE(Teflon) added to the grease to prevent friction, and can withstand very high temperatures. Another advantage is that PTFE grease is very gentle to plastics, and therefore the best way to lube plastic parts in reels. Here the PTFE coating will still provide some lubrication after the grease itself has washed/dried out.  This is one of the major sales gimmicks in the machinery businesses, as PTFE should be able to preserve machine parts from total failure in cases where the maintenance has been bad.

To your second question, Italy is country that loves cycle sports, and many of the oil product sold for mountain and roadbikes works wonderfully for fishing reels too. They are made to lube and preserve very expensive bikes, from humidity, rust etc.  So if you need a quick solution, I would just visit the local bike shop.
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

Bryan Young

Morton, what took you so long?  Inquiring minds needed to know...  :)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Killerbug

I was actually fishing for some days ;D, without catching anything  >:(
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

Irish Jigger

I have been using TF2 bike grease "with Teflon surface protector" @ $4/150ml tube for two years now,appears to do the job OK.

Bryan Young

I would love to run a side by side comparions test on the different teflon greases.  The idea of having 6 identical rods and reels mounted in parallel rod holders connected with the line connected to another vehile driving away with drags set to same pressure, while monitoring the rod tips for smoothness for at least a couple hundred yards run.  Then inspect the drags after the fact.  We could put it on youtube for all to see.

If it were so easy.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

day0ne

The Shimano drag grease should be available world wide, as should Daiwa's. The Daiwa grease seems to have mixed reviews but the Shimano is a good grease. I prefer Cal's because it has a higher temp rating but have used a lot of the Shimano grease with no problems.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

alantani

alantani

for cal's grease, i believe that smoothdrag ships internationally.  if not, i can send you something.

CoastieFlo

Well heck, if PTFE is the same as Teflon, I know a lot of greases/lubes labelled with PTFE, why not use something like that instead of the expensive stuff like Cals or Shimano.  I think even the Abu grease says PTFE in it