Boca Bearings

Started by jgp12000, July 03, 2023, 09:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

Has anyone tried these in a spinning reel is it worth the cost/effort?
ABEC rating,ceramic vs SS? I know the DQ 265 size is 6x19x6mm which is also the size for many skateboard wheels and RC engines.

philaroman

Boca is Chinese, priced like Japanese, and marketed as American
no reason to overpay, unless Boca is the only source for a rare size
board & RC BB's are often NOT SS -- not for reels, IMO

OhReely

I recently installed Boca ceramic bearings for the pinion in my 704Z, 7500SS and 850SS. Got the size and part number from a member here although I can't remember who. A little pricey at almost $19 each but shipped for free, arrived in less than a week. They are sealed, lifetime lubrication and very smooth. I don't find them to be tight feeling like other sealed bearings I've used.

For those interested  - Boca # SR6C-2YS/C3 NB2

Swami805

How do you like them?  Are they 100% ceramic or just the balls?  Are they noisy?
Reason I ask is I have a set of 100% ceramic in a Newell, they make a fair amount of racket when casting. They do spin well with excellent free spool. I didn't lubricate them, maybe I should
Do what you can with that you have where you are

OhReely

The three reels I mentioned are Penn Spinning reels so they really are only turning on retrieve when the rotor is bringing in line. That's really low speed compared to a conventional reel spool when casting. However, they are smooth and quiet, much freer than say the sealed bearings in my Gen 5 and 6 Penn Spinfishers. I'm happy with them so far but only recently installed them and haven't fished them yet. Only the balls are ceramic, the seals are yellow rubber, the rest is SS. Boca claims the lubrication is good for the life of the bearing. That's pretty funny. Right? They are rated ABEC1. My reason for putting them in these reels is less reel disassembly during maintenance. Without an AR bearing it's easy to tell if the pinion bearing is okay without removing the rotor.

Donnyboat

Hi Swami, if your going to lube them, only use the tyniest little drip, as the lube will restrict the  turning speed cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat