Right in Alan's back yard! Northern California bluefin tuna: rod/reel list

Started by Tunanorth, July 06, 2023, 12:13:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tunanorth

AMAZING FISHERY FOR BIG BLUEFIN TUNA IS EMERGING FOR NORTHERN CALIFORNIA ANGLERS FISHING OUT OF SAN FRANCISCO BAY.
BLUEFIN PUSHING 200 POUNDS HAVE ALREADY BEEN CAUGHT AROUND 40 MILES OUTSIDE THE GOLDEN GATE, AND THE PAST FEW DAYS HAVE SEEN MULTIPLE CATCHES OF BLUEFIN ACROSS THE SIZE SPECTRUM.
RECOMMENDED ROD/REEL SETUPS:
NORTHERN CALIFORNIA MONSTER BLUEFIN TUNA RIGS
DOWNRIGGER TROLLING LIVE BAITS; SARDINES, MACKEREL, ETC.
Reel- PENN Fathom II FTHII40NLD2 or FTHII60NLD2
Rod- PENN Carnage III "West Coast" CARWCIII40100C78
Line- 80-pound braid
Application- 30-150 pound tuna
TROLLING CEDAR PLUGS, SMALL SWIMMING PLUGS, AND FEATHER JIGS

Reel- PENN Fathom II FTHII80LD2

Rod- PENN Carnage III "West Coast" CARWCIII60100C70
Line- 80 to 100-pound braid

Application- 50-175 pound tuna
TROLLING SWIMMING PLUGS

Reel- PENN International 30VISX or 30VISW

Rod- PENN Carnage III "West Coast" CARWCIII80130C70
Line- 100 to 130-pound braid

Application- 100-300 pound tuna
TROLLING LARGE SWIMMING PLUGS AND SPREADER BARS

Reel- PENN International 50VISX or 50VISW

Rod- PENN Carnage III "West Coast" CARWCIII80150C70
Line- 130 to 150-pound braid

Application- 100-400 pound tuna

Crab Pot

Hum, I haven't heard of any tuna this far north yet.

But I'm not saying they aren't, they were much closer in last year. Private boat close.

Fingers crossed this El Nino year brings the southern fish back and the Albacore down!

That write reads like a Penn advertainment!  8)  :D
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Tunanorth

Quote from: Crab Pot on July 06, 2023, 12:48:36 AMHum, I haven't heard of any tuna this far north yet.

But I'm not saying they aren't, they were much closer in last year. Private boat close.

Fingers crossed this El Nino year brings the southern fish back and the Albacore down!

That write reads like a Penn advertainment!  8)  :D

Funny thing, I was "on-air" on the "California Sportsmen" radio show in Sacramento Saturday morning, July 1, and predicted NorCal bluefin by the end of July.
I did not predict it would be THAT DAY!
However, the first NorCal BFT was indeed caught last Saturday, and that triggered a small flotilla of boats chasing them the very next day, with the highest boat count I know of being six in a single day.
Weights have ranged from 30-180 pounds.
Since then, I have been bombarded by PM's, DM's IM's, E-mails, texts, Facebook Messenger, and plain old phone calls from my NorCal pals, asking for advice on bluefin gear.
At least one NorCal boat will be running some San Diego-style night-time jigging trips for bluefin, but the jigging gear would be pretty much the same as that used aboard SD boats.

Crab Pot

Quote from: Tunanorth on July 06, 2023, 12:59:28 AMHowever, the first NorCal BFT was indeed caught last Saturday

Can I ask approx. where?

Quote from: Tunanorth on July 06, 2023, 12:59:28 AMAt least one NorCal boat will be running some San Diego-style night-time jigging trips for bluefin, but the jigging gear would be pretty much the same as that used aboard SD boats.

If you hear of any trips opening up please let us know!

Tunanorth

Quote from: Crab Pot on July 06, 2023, 01:05:16 AM
Quote from: Tunanorth on July 06, 2023, 12:59:28 AMHowever, the first NorCal BFT was indeed caught last Saturday

Can I ask approx. where?

Quote from: Tunanorth on July 06, 2023, 12:59:28 AMAt least one NorCal boat will be running some San Diego-style night-time jigging trips for bluefin, but the jigging gear would be pretty much the same as that used aboard SD boats.

That first fish was about 40 miles out of the Golden Gate, but since then, bluefin have been caught in a number of spots, some as close as 15 miles out.
Lots of the 4-pack and 6-pack charter fleet are going out after them, only the California Dawn II out of Berkeley Marina has announced plans to chase them from among the "big boat" fleet.

If you hear of any trips opening up please let us know!

Bill B

Wouldn't it be something to catch BF on the at.com trip in August out of Moss Landing 😎
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

David Hall

Bluefin are here, they are being landed daily on private boats from Monterey to Marin.  I know of 30+ verified reports, Ive seen the pictures, talked with the fishermen.  All in the last 4 days. nice grade of fish with most being in the 120-150lb class.
And here I sit with a broken hand unable to join in the fun. Sometimes things suck even when they are at their best. :d

Crab Pot

Friends of a friend.

No details but they are obviously here!

Thanks for the heads up Tunanorth!

Looking for a weather window as I type.