Penn 113MTL... to use or sell?

Started by JasonGotaProblem, July 07, 2023, 12:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I have a brand new in box (previously an unopened box, but I wanted to see it) and I'm trying to decide if I wanna try it out on some snapper next weekend, or sell it unused/brand new.

If it didn't require a different sleeve than the regular (and I've never seen a steel one available for it), it would be a non-question I would just keep it.

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

steelfish

I dont know how much better they are compared to a modified 113h with SS sleeve and better drags, etc, so, if I was the owner of that reel, I would try to sell it shooting for someone who wants it as a collection item.
then you can pay for more fishing trips or get a modern and better reel.

in some time that reel might have or will have a better collector value, so I will keep it inside the box and wait for a better moment to sell it or sell it right away.

I dont know for sure, but seems that you have enough reels for your snapper and grouper trip, you better leave this metal senator at home until you're sure
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

This guy

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on July 07, 2023, 12:29:33 AMI have a brand new in box (previously an unopened box, but I wanted to see it) and I'm trying to decide if I wanna try it out on some snapper next weekend, or sell it unused/brand new.

If it didn't require a different sleeve than the regular (and I've never seen a steel one available for it), it would be a non-question I would just keep it.

Well, seeing how I didn't know what this was, I went and googled it. Lol.!
The strangest thing happened!
I start reading on into this post about this gentleman, talking about these reels and selling one! It says he has two of these and one of them just happened to be sealed, brand new in the box and never opened!
Now being a new member, and just learning what has transpired, I am mediately thought of Keith!
So I clicked on the profile, which was ocean master and sure enough, it was OCD reel service!!!
After looking at how pretty that Penn really is, I personally, would have to keep it without a doubt!
But that is merely, only the way I feel, and my personal opinion Jason!

boon

It's a very cool piece. Kind of like what the super-talented creators on here have built, except Penn's own take on it.

JasonGotaProblem

Yes, this one came from Keith. I love it but there's just so many other reels I want. In fact I'd consider trading it outright for a clean baja special.

And I agree, I kinda see it as penn's factory version of what some folks on here create. Which kinda makes me wanna keep it. But there's just so many reels I want.

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on July 07, 2023, 04:23:14 AMYes, this one came from Keith. I love it but there's just so many other reels I want. In fact I'd consider trading it outright for a clean baja special.

And I agree, I kinda see it as penn's factory version of what some folks on here create. Which kinda makes me wanna keep it. But there's just so many reels I want.
I don't know much about these big game reels, I'm learning the best I can lol!
Isn't that MTL basically the same thing, just wider than the Baja special?

Rancanfish

I tried to buy that off him a long time ago.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Rancanfish on July 07, 2023, 06:47:34 PMI tried to buy that off him a long time ago.
I'm open to cash or trade offers.

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on July 07, 2023, 04:23:14 AMYes, this one came from Keith. I love it but there's just so many other reels I want.

nothing wrong with wishing another reels that fit better your way of fishing, buying reels and selling them thats how I made possible to get some better reels, sometimes I was like you, not sure if selling or keeping a reel like one international 16S, my second Baja Special, Intenational 50S, and few others uncompleted projects, those are gone (and sometimes I wish I still keep them) but that way I could get my Mak 15, abu toro Beast,  accurate 400 Boss Xtreme and better quality blanks for custom rods, my first boat rods were from W-mart and big5 sportfishing.
The Baja Guy

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on July 07, 2023, 07:03:10 PM
Quote from: Rancanfish on July 07, 2023, 06:47:34 PMI tried to buy that off him a long time ago.
I'm open to cash or trade offers.
But you're basically looking for big fishy gear lol in trade, correct?

JasonGotaProblem

Yeah there's a part of me that still feels bad about the stuff from Keith that I end up selling. And I don't think that will ever go away. But frankly I've given away probably thousands of dollars worth of this stuff in the past few months, and will continue to do so. And that makes me feel a bit less bad about it.

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on July 07, 2023, 07:31:48 PMYeah there's a part of me that still feels bad about the stuff from Keith that I end up selling. And I don't think that will ever go away. But frankly I've given away probably thousands of dollars worth of this stuff in the past few months, and will continue to do so. And that makes me feel a bit less bad about it.
That was NOT my intention at all Jason!  Only reason, I said this is because when I went to look that reel up, I could not find one for sale anywhere at all!
The post that I saw from the PFF was from 2014, when he sold the used one, the guy could not buy it fast enough lol!
So looks like it could be a pretty in demand collectors piece to me!
Obviously, I'm a newbie, so you and the others here, have a much better understanding, on the value of this!