Rod holders

Started by jzumi, July 07, 2023, 03:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jzumi

Got a new rail fabricated and installed around the rear deck of the boat.  Now I'd like to attach some rod holders to the rail.

I received some from CSmith and they are specked for 1 inch rail but they do not clamp tightly enough to keep from spinning on the rail.  I've tried adding bicycle inner tube or electrical tape but it still spins.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,John

Keta

Is the rod holders and rail similar material?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Crab Pot

John,

I had the same issue.

I put in a hard rubber strip and it worked for a while.

I have 1" rails and over time, especially when Salmon trolling 2lb balls, they'd shift out of place.

I ended up getting 7/8" holders and problem solved.

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

jzumi

Quote from: Keta on July 07, 2023, 04:11:29 PMIs the rod holders and rail similar material?

No idea but I highly doubt the materials are the same.

Quote from: Crab Pot on July 07, 2023, 04:21:42 PMJohn,

I had the same issue.

I put in a hard rubber strip and it worked for a while.

I have 1" rails and over time, especially when Salmon trolling 2lb balls, they'd shift out of place.

I ended up getting 7/8" holders and problem solved.

Steve

I'd be willing to try this.  Any idea where you got these or what brand?   Thanks!

Crab Pot

Quote from: jzumi on July 08, 2023, 02:10:14 PMI'd be willing to try this.  Any idea where you got these or what brand?   Thanks!

7/8" is very common. I got mine at West Marine because I couldn't wait on shipping and spent a little more than I should have.

Bass Pro Shops, Amazon, and Ebay are where I'd look first for budget.

Sky's the limit, price wise from there.

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

ExcessiveAngler

Is the hardware that clamps it to the rail plastic with metal threaded inserts?
Or is the clamp hardware stainless steel?

Brewcrafter

[/quote]
Quote from: jzumi on July 07, 2023, 03:29:06 PMI received some from CSmith and they are specked for 1 inch rail but they do not clamp tightly enough to keep from spinning on the rail.  I've tried adding bicycle inner tube or electrical tape but it still spins.

John - Sounds similar to what happened with me on rail around the back of my 16' tri hull.  I too tried innertube mostly because I didn't want the rail getting scratched up by the clamps, but they would slip.  My solution: I painted the section of innertube with rubber cement and allowed it to dry, then wrapped it around the rail and onto itself.  This prevented the tube from slipping, and the clamp got a good grip on the rubber.  Also, as long as you use rubber cement, it is NOT permanent.  Remove the clamps, peel off the tubes, and the adhesive comes right off the chrome/stainless/aluminum/whatever.  Good luck. - john

jzumi

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I think the first thing is I should use a caliper to measure the rail diameter.  The welder said he used 1 " SS but maybe it's actually skinnier.

Keta

Pipe and tubing OD's are not the same.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MQ1

You might be surprised to find that cardboard stock of the right thickness will work. There is a reason it has been used as gasket material forever...

MQ1

Cor

I don't understand this problem.   Some rod holders are upright and some are angled towards the rear.   What spins around, the rod and reel in the holder?   OK perhaps its a non permanent fixture and the rod holder moves around in the rail?

When I first started boat fishing I was very concerned that my expensive rod and real would fall from the rod holder, but they don't, never seen or heard of it happening, no matter how rough sea conditions are.
Cornelis

Bryan Young

John,

I have self adhesive synthetic rubber that I could send to you. It's about 1/32" thick by 6" or 8" wide is you would like to give it a try. You can always cut the width down. PM me with your address and let me know about how much feet you will need and I'll mail it out. If you live near Alan Tani, we could also meet there and you can cut what you need. Let me knkow.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Squidder Bidder

I would just be mindful if you are going to run with rods and reels in the holders in light of the weight of the rod and reel combos.

This year we had a weld break on one rod holder on the hardtop while underway to the Canyons. A Penn 50 and 50-100 class rod broke loose and just missed me reclined in a beanbag chair catching a snooze on the stern deck. The gimbal butt took a chunk of fiberglass before the rod reached its place of final rest on top of me.

We don't run with 50s up there anymore.

boon

Quote from: Cor on November 28, 2023, 06:43:21 AMWhen I first started boat fishing I was very concerned that my expensive rod and real would fall from the rod holder, but they don't, never seen or heard of it happening, no matter how rough sea conditions are.

I've heard of it once, with a very expensive combo disappearing from the rocket launcher between setting off and arriving at the destination, in moderately snotty conditions.
Also heard of two welded ones snapping off - once with a Shimano Beastmaster electric set disappearing into the wake, and the second getting ripped off the hardtop when it was being fished in the shotgun position and something large came and ate the lure.

jzumi

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 28, 2023, 11:20:48 AMJohn,

I have self adhesive synthetic rubber that I could send to you. It's about 1/32" thick by 6" or 8" wide is you would like to give it a try. You can always cut the width down. PM me with your address and let me know about how much feet you will need and I'll mail it out. If you live near Alan Tani, we could also meet there and you can cut what you need. Let me knkow.

PM sent.  Thanks!