Mitchell version 2 half bail

Started by Christian swire, July 07, 2023, 06:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christian swire

Hello All!
I am currently in search of a side plate for a Second version Mitchell half bail with the round anti reverse knob. The condition is unimportant as all I really need is the A/r knob and cam. If any one has one, I would greatly appreciate it.
Christian Swire

foakes

Hi Christian, and welcome —-

Is this for an egg-shaped Mitchell prior to the 300's?

Or a round-bodied Half-bail CAP prior to the 304's?

If you would post/or send me a pic of your reel, and hopefully the part you need —- I'll see what I have.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Christian swire

Hello Fred!
I'm sorry for the delay on this response. The side plate I'm looking for is for the second version "300" style half bail. With the round A/R knob.
Christian Swire

jtwill98

Fred,

I think Christian is looking for a side cover with the reverse knob as shown in this photo of my reel.

Christian swire

Hi Fred. Yes that is the one I am looking for.
Christian Swire

foakes

I do not think that I have one like that.

A donor reel may be your best bet.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Those are pretty few and far between. It will probably be a long process finding donor reel because if anyone out there has one they're not going to part with it cheaply.  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Brewcrafter

Having never seen one of these in the wild: What does the knob do, and what was the thinking of having it as an option/feature?  Was this reel targeted for a specific fishery/style of fishing? - john

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Brewcrafter on January 13, 2024, 02:11:48 AMHaving never seen one of these in the wild: What does the knob do, and what was the thinking of having it as an option/feature?  Was this reel targeted for a specific fishery/style of fishing? - john

It's an anti-reverse knob that turns to activate/deactivate the A/R. The knob quickly evolved into the boomerang lever. It was one of the earliest Mitchell 300 style reels, awhile before it was called the 300. The reel is actually the third version. The previous model, second version, had a rosewood crank handle knob. 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

jtwill98

Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 13, 2024, 06:07:13 AM
Quote from: Brewcrafter on January 13, 2024, 02:11:48 AMHaving never seen one of these in the wild: What does the knob do, and what was the thinking of having it as an option/feature?  Was this reel targeted for a specific fishery/style of fishing? - john

It's an anti-reverse knob that turns to activate/deactivate the A/R. The knob quickly evolved into the boomerang lever. It was one of the earliest Mitchell 300 style reels, awhile before it was called the 300. The reel is actually the third version. The previous model, second version, had a rosewood crank handle knob. 

The reel is actually a poor conditioned second version European classified MK.2.2 reel.

Even though it wasn't what most collectors would consider high price, (less than $200 when I bought it), I had an expert named Rolands Babulis take a look at the reel and provide his opinion on it before I bought it.  If it had the rosewood handle knob, it possibly would have been classified a MK.2.1 had the internals checked out. 

Here's a quote from Rolands book, "The Early Years of the Mitchell Fishing Reel", page 55.:
"The handle knob is hardwood on 2.1 reels and black or very dark blue metal on 2.2 and 2.3 reels." 

On Page 63 of same book, here are some of the features that are found on MK.3 reels:
"
  • The metal handle knob changed from black to dark blue and then back to black plastic. Handle shafts with a plastic knob have a longer hub, which was introduced primarily for the full bail.
  • The back edge of the handle-counterweight became very rounded.
  • The aluvac stamp in the housing moved to a slightly lower position.
  • The transfer gear became all aluminum.
  • The pivot gear is slightly thicker than before.
  • Shims are used under the pivot gear.
"
As seen above, the European standard has many characteristics that have to be met and checked off for each version.  Like all collector items, one really has to study the reels, the books and be experienced or have an expert in the field check out the item.   

I don't think anyone has gone to the point of issuing collector certifications on collector pieces. At least, I have not run across or seen any.  There have been letters and other data that help ensure authenticity of some reels which help increase their collector's value.     

Midway Tommy

There are multiple opinions on the version breakdowns on these reels. It can be like splitting hairs and can get quite subjective.

I don't do (points) in the midst of what I consider to be a version. If that were the case there might be six or eight sub versions (every time they made slight a part revision) in some of the Abu & Zebco Cardinals. To each his own, though, that would start getting pretty involved and complicated.

I see the Mitchell first version as the 1938 test example that was sent out to the vendors. Then came the war with little to no production. After the war came the second version with the rosewood knob, then the third version with the metal knob and so on. I guess, to serious collectors, things can get to be as complicated as they want to make it. I don't take it that seriously, they're just fishing reels ;D , and when I croak my kids will probably either fish them or sell them at garage or yard sales.  ;)

BTW, There's a half bail example with the knob listed for sale as we discuss this. :o

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

jtwill98

:o  Even more shocking, there is 2nd one listed -- probably won't sell at the price.

Midway Tommy

More & more hard to find reels coming up for sale seems like a sign of the times lately.   :o  People must really be needing the money.  ???

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Gfish

The one you referenced Tommy, has a 1/2 bail. The knob is kinda cool and I'd bid on that one, but I think the winning bid will end-up ridiculously high.
Thanks jtwill98, I can check mine for an aluminum transfer gear to see if it's a version 3 or 2. You can never tell when looking at a handle, they're too easy to replace... also peoples descriptions, such as "the back edge of the handle", aren't detailed enough for me to know what they'er talking about.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

You're right Greg. Not sure how I missed that typo, but I fixed it.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE