Need help with what parts to maintain Shimano Aero Technium for long term .

Started by clueless, July 07, 2023, 07:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clueless

Hello everybody , hope all is doing well .  I have an Aero Technium XSC 10,000 and I am picking up parts from Shimano U.S to maintain it for as long as possible .

I already have a few main gear & pinion replacements , I have an anti reverse replacement and all ball bearing replacements already .

Here is what I'm confused about , what other parts in that reel would be subject to replacement after a few years .

I'm up in the air if it's a good idea to purchase a replacement worm drive and main shaft .

I posted an image of the parts I'm ordering or currently have which is in yellow ink , the encircled penn ink is what I don't plan on getting but maybe I should .

Thank you so much for your expert help.     

philaroman

if you avoid catastrophic impact & service regularly, stainless worm & shaft should last a long time
all the parts that connect them to each other (your right, bigger, circled "<--NO" group) can be a weak point
ESPECIALLY the oscillation block (11985?)...  is often a much weaker, lower quality alloy than main gear
had one (Sahara?) crumble in my hands, while main from same reel was still smooth, barely pitted on back

clueless

Thank you very much . Should I get replacements for all the parts in the line roller assembly or do I just need to worry about the ball bearing ?

Thanks again.

foakes

It would be easier and cheaper to just get two more reels of that model —- and keep them on the shelf for spare parts —- if ever needed.

If never needed in the next 15 years —- just resell the reels.

That is what I do with Penn reels.  Lots of folks cringe when I say I do this —- but it is a lot cheaper, and you never have to worry about the part you do not have failing.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

Quote from: foakes on July 07, 2023, 09:31:05 PMIt would be easier and cheaper to just get two more reels of that model —- and keep them on the shelf for spare parts —- if ever needed.

That is what I do with Penn reels.  Lots of folks cringe when I say I do this —- but it is a lot cheaper, and you never have to worry about the part you do not have failing.

Best, Fred

Parts is why I ended up with so many 349/349H reels.  Thanks to the members here all of mine are fishable now.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

philaroman

DUH ::) forgot to ask... 
your model/size has fans among both,
S/W Surf & F/W Carp -- which are you?

steel line-roller bearings are THE PART to die fastest, most often in S/W
that's from normal use, not just poor service
but sizes are pretty standard...  plenty aftermarket options...  no rush:
if you're getting other parts, anyway -- maybe add a couple to order
otherwise, wait to see if you want ceramic bearing to fix corrosion forever

if you invested in spare gears already, few other major model-specific parts
might be a good idea...  spare o-block, bail, bail arm...  EXPENSIVE!!!
buying all the tiny OEM parts individually is even more EXPENSIVE!!!
not-working/for-parts reels is the cheapest option, but time consuming  :(

Brewcrafter

Quote from: foakes on July 07, 2023, 09:31:05 PMIt would be easier and cheaper to just get two more reels of that model —- and keep them on the shelf for spare parts —- if ever needed.

Best, Fred
Fred speaks reality.  And honestly, if you are so enamored of the performance of that reel, then investing in a couple others just as backups makes sense .  I have several instances of duplication in my arsenal.  - john

ourford

Fred is right. It could be any part due to wear or mishap. Even the body.
Vic

clueless

Thanks everybody for the assistance .  Buying more reels of that model is very cost prohibitive they retail for $750.00 each.

The entire cost of the majority of parts for replacement was around $300.00 not including replacement body , spool etc..

This is the XSC 10000 MODEL that was offered in the USA for a brief period . No longer available in this country .

As far as the new Aero Technium models that are not offered in the USA anymore I haven't been very impressed . Although they have a 45MM spool that wraps 107 wraps of line instead of the previous version's 100 wraps of line with both having super slow 10 there aren't major differences.

For a reel in this price range it should have a rubber body gasket like some other much less expensive Shimano reels Gosa , Spheros that are built for saltwater usage .  Reels in this price range should also have a hardened spool lip IMO.

Shimano marketed the XSC 10000 in the USA for saltwater surf fishing not freshwater Carp fishing.