Garage Sale Find Part III

Started by Crab Pot, July 08, 2023, 08:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

Found this today at yet another garage sale.

D.A.M. Quick Super 550.

Don't know if it's a gem or not and I know nothing about vintage spinning reels.

It's a bit sloppy, bail doesn't look right and has lots of play (but works), clicker works. and it reels nice.

For $10 I couldn't resist, especially after following foakes (Fred) posts.

Also met someone at another sale who said he has a ton of vintage Penn and even more parts. I met an older gentlemen and enjoyed talking reels with him.
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

foakes

Good find, Steve —-

That is a DAM Quick 270 Super.

One of the toughest spinning reels ever produced.

The one you have looks to be about 1960.

After a complete disassembly, cleaning of all parts, inspection of any needed replacement parts —- service and lube —- it will be ready for another 40-50 years.

I can see it needs a shift housing, off handle side badge, maybe a new bail & bail mount if this one won't clean up (it could cut the line), probably new drags, a bail spring, maybe another spring or two, bearing if making howling noise.
May not need all of that.

But I have any part you may need.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crab Pot

Quote from: foakes on July 09, 2023, 02:02:26 AMThat is a DAM Quick 270 Super.

Fred,

I knew you would chime in.

All I know is the seller told me it was a 550 (?).

But in his defense he knew less then I did, which isn't saying much.

How can the "novice" identify these reels when we're holding them?

I wasn't able to find a model number or other ID on it anywhere.

This one will go on the "shelf" till winter, but if you don't mind I'll pick your brain once I open it up.

Thanks,

Steve

Crab Pot

Fred,

So I couldn't help myself and started playing with the reel this morning.

Under the drag knob it is says 270. Is that common on all reels that aren't identified on the outside?

The reel seat says Made In Germany with the number "1" in the post indentation.

The spool, on the under side, says Made In West Germany.

Do I have a Franken-Reel or was that common?

Your right about the bail, it'll need help. After about 3-4 revolutions it slips down and strikes the handle.

Thanks,

Steve

foakes

Quote from: Crab Pot on July 09, 2023, 06:45:42 PMFred,

Under the drag knob it is says 270. Is that common on all reels that aren't identified on the outside?

Your right about the bail, it'll need help. After about 3-4 revolutions it slips down and strikes the handle.

Thanks,

Steve

Your 270 Super is stock, and as it should be, Steve —-

As you get into it and observe the engineering, over the top quality materials that are double or triple of comparable other salt-water spinners of it's day (and today) —- you will likely gain some insight and appreciation of the engineers.

They were, of course, primarily German, practical, second and third generation machinists and watchmakers —- and maybe just as important —- they fished nearly every weekend to test their equipment to see where improvements may be needed.

"Close" tolerances were never tolerated —- exact tolerances with no slop was the only way they knew how to make their reels.  Material selection, and how the materials interacted with each other part —- were key.

Parts were standardized when possible —- and the reels were designed to last an angler's lifetime and be handed down to the next generation.  Planned obsolescence was not invented yet.

The 270, IMO opinion, is one of the most capable reels ever built by any manufacturer —- no nonsense, just reproducible results over a lifetime of fishing.

When Penn's Otto Heinze was considering producing a quality spinning reel —- he knew that he wanted the best for the new Spinfisher Greenie lineup —- starting with the 700.  He made many trips to Europe to pick the brains of some of the top machinists in the UK & Germany.  That is why he settled on the "worm-drive" steel and hardened bronze gearing, coupled with an oversized main bearing —- and all "center-drive" forward power.  No lateral side pressure stresses from lesser and easy to manufacture reels.  Only the best would do.  Otto's stubborn and practical German mindset about quality —- was the same as the DAM engineers.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Barishi

Quote from: foakes on July 09, 2023, 07:27:29 PM
Quote from: Crab Pot on July 09, 2023, 06:45:42 PMFred,

Thanks,

Steve

Your 270 Super is stock, and as it should be, Steve —-

As you get into it and observe the engineering, over the top quality materials that are double or triple of comparable other salt-water spinners of it's day (and today) —- you will likely gain some insight and appreciation of the engineers.

They were, of course, primarily German, practical, second and third generation machinists and watchmakers —- and maybe just as important —- they fished nearly every weekend to test their equipment to see where improvements may be needed.

"Close" tolerances were never tolerated —- exact tolerances with no slop was the only way they knew how to make their reels.  Material selection, and how the materials interacted with each other part —- were key.

Parts were standardized when possible —- and the reels were designed to last an angler's lifetime and be handed down to the next generation.  Planned obsolescence was not invented yet.

The 270, IMO opinion, is one of the most capable reels ever built by any manufacturer —- no nonsense, just reproducible results over a lifetime of fishing.

When Penn's Otto Heinze was considering producing a quality spinning reel —- he knew that he wanted the best for the new Spinfisher Greenie lineup —- starting with the 700.  He made many trips to Europe to pick the brains of some of the top machinists in the UK & Germany.  That is why he settled on the "worm-drive" steel and hardened bronze gearing, coupled with an oversized main bearing —- and all "center-drive" forward power.  No lateral side pressure stresses from lesser and easy to manufacture reels.  Only the best would do.  Otto's stubborn and practical German mindset about quality —- was the same as the DAM engineers.

Best, Fred

Didn't Otto Henze pass away before the Super was created? Penn's website says he passed on in 1948, while the Spinfisher came out in 1961. Just seemed a little weird.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Crab Pot on July 09, 2023, 04:02:53 AM
Quote from: foakes on July 09, 2023, 02:02:26 AMThat is a DAM Quick 270 Super.

Fred,

I knew you would chime in.

All I know is the seller told me it was a 550 (?).

But in his defense he knew less then I did, which isn't saying much.

How can the "novice" identify these reels when we're holding them?

I wasn't able to find a model number or other ID on it anywhere.

This one will go on the "shelf" till winter, but if you don't mind I'll pick your brain once I open it up.

Thanks,

Steve

:D  The big tell is the color , 550 are black and the badge says so , 270 are green .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

Didn't Otto Henze pass away before the Super was created? Penn's website says he passed on in 1948, while the Spinfisher came out in 1961. Just seemed a little weird.

Yes, Mr. Henze passed on in '48.

Like any good businessman —- he was always thinking ahead to improvements in his company as to all of the day-to-day requirements to remain successful and most importantly —- profitable and relevant.

The War was over.  Penn had weathered the War years.  Now it was time to start rebuilding the world.  Servicemen came back from the War here in the US —- the American dream of a family, a good job, and a modest home were being realized.

There was also a small amount of disposable income that could be devoted to hobbies like outdoor activities —- fishing, camping, hunting. 

Got to remember, that prior to the War, we were in a Financial Depression for nearly 13 years.  No jobs, foreclosures, soup lines, banks failed taking all depositors savings with them.  There were no government bail-outs.  The War and subsequent manufacturing revolution afterwards changed all of that nearly immediately after WWII.

However, another revolution was coming to the forefront —- and Mr. Henze recognized this —- and most importantly, he started his research into another possible reel design for his company.  This would keep Penn up to date and ready —- just in case these new-fangled "Spinning Reels" ever became a viable "Thing".  If they were not accepted, nothing ventured —- nothing gained.

D.A.M. had been producing a high quality Spinning reel since before the War —- in the 30's.  Their factory was destroyed during bombing raids —- and they were in the process of rebuilding their company. 

Other tackle companies were also coming out with spinning gear —- in the US, and in Europe.  Spinning gear was more effective for the novice fisherman, easier to get the hang of, and could cover more water quickly than using conventional reels or fly gear.

One of Henze's future products was a possible spinning reel line-up.  It was on the drawing board —- but never happened during his lifetime.

When Martha Henze very capably and skillfully took over all aspects of running Penn —- and as Spinning Reel Fishing became enormously popular in the 50's and 60's —- she knew it was time to dust off a few of Otto's old planned "possible projects".  Penn was late to the game —- but made up for not jumping on the bandwagon —- like so many others did (and failed) by being able to use other manufacturer's designs that had been successful.  A little from each of the major manufacturers of that day.

One of the strongest contenders in the Spinning Reel market —- was D.A.M..  Much of the engineering of the Penn Spinfishers was based on the D.A.M. Finessa's, Microlites, and the upcoming Finessa series of 110 thru 550 —- and the Super that was introduced in '54, and ran through the early 60's.

Penn designed and successfully entered the Spinning Reel world —- after the careful stewardship of Martha and her top executive team.

My information is first hand from a couple of the German engineers, and also one Master Reel repair gentleman in the UK.

May or may not be true —- but it all fits, and the finished product bears this out.

Plus, the folks I talked to over the years are honest and I trusted what they told me.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

Here is the schematic and parts lists from one of my factory service manuals.

There were about (4) variations of the Super 270 —- not counting the Super 275 2-Speed introduced around 1963.

So, sometimes, all parts from '54 thru '63 may not fit —- but about 80% will directly interchange and work.

To find and buy a reel of this caliber for $10 — maybe spend a few bucks , a little time and effort and learning to service and bring it up into the fishing line-up, plus maybe a few little parts — shows what a good value these old quality reels are.

This is a best kept secret!

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Crab Pot

Thanks Fred, for the history lesson and the schematic.

I fully intend to rebuild and use this reel for surf fishing.

I'm looking at two Fenessa reels after work tomorrow.

$10 each!

$10 seems to be my lucky dollar amount with vintage reels.

Facebook this time.