Another 349H Drag Solution

Started by George4741, March 01, 2012, 01:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

Judging from previous posts, there is at least mild interest in 349 master mariners.  I've been playing (playing? ;D) with mine and after mulling over some initial ideas from other members, offer another solution for carbon fiber drags in these fine old reels.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I installed a 1+5 drag stack in my first 349h using ht100's and thin keyed metals from a 113h.  Even though these ht100's have a slightly smaller diameter than the original asbestos drags, they properly fit around the gear sleeve and work well.  This gives my reel the same drag capabilities as the great 113h senator.  I know it will provide more than enough drag to damage my reel, so I will limit it to 40# mono.

Since I don't want to exceed 12-15# drag, I went to the conservative side with my 2nd 349h and decided to go with a 1+3 drag stack.  I could have used three 113h ht100's, but I wanted something the same diameter as the original asbestos drags.  The correct outer dia is 31mm and the inner hole dia is 13.06mm dia.  Since there aren't any precise fitting carbon fiber washers made for this reel, I decided to modify some off-the-shelf carbontex washers.  Smoothdrag's #48 carbontex washers have the correct outer diameter and an undersize hole, so I enlarged the holes to properly fit on the gear sleeve.

The #48 carbontex washers before and after enlarging the holes.  For comparison, the original asbestos and 113h washers.

I sandwiched the #48 carbontex washers between two original 349h asbestos washers, and using a small sanding drum in my drill press, carefully enlarged the holes to the proper diameter.

I placed a #12 carbontex washer under the main gear.  This is the same washer that Dawn includes with her 113h set to use under the main gear of that reel and fits the 349h gear sleeve perfectly.

Here is the completed drag stack with some additional metal washers to take up the excess space.  You can get 349h metals from Dawn, or use some 113h keyed metals.  They work fine.  Just make sure a keyed 349h washer is on top of the last carbon fiber drag.  Next I will take it apart and grease everything with Cal's.

Now I have a 349h with three precise fitting carbon fiber washers that benches at 15# drag; more than sufficient for a 40# reel. 
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

That's the way to do it.  Thanks for sharing.  I'm sure it'll be helpful to someone irrespective of the reel
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

I haven't seen the inside of a 349.  What a cool looking dog and spring.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Nice, thanks for the Smooth Drag washer number.

When I was gainfully employed I worked around a lot of asbestos and have been exposed to it many times.  I don't want to see others exposed, especially our families.  It would be better if you used a vacuum to pick up the dust when sanding the carbon drag even if you only bump the old asbestos washer.  If you still have the original metal washers they would be better.  I have some hard washers with the center cut to the right diameters that I use when altering the center of drag washers.  
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: Pescachaser on March 01, 2012, 03:09:14 AM
I haven't seen the inside of a 349.  What a cool looking dog and spring.  Dominick
Hey Dominick, don't you have a 49 with the dual lever?  One to put into free spool and the other to release the dog (handle still engaged).  It's similar to that.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

QuoteIt would be better if you used a vacuum to pick up the dust when sanding the carbon drag, even if you only bump the old asbestos washer. If you still have the original metal washers they would be better.
x2 Lee - that's good advice.
I've worked with asbestos and it should never be underestimated.
Cheers, Justin
PS Great job though! I've got a 349 arriving soon, so will no doubt be applying your ideas!
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 01, 2012, 04:38:31 PM
Quote from: Pescachaser on March 01, 2012, 03:09:14 AM
I haven't seen the inside of a 349.  What a cool looking dog and spring.  Dominick
Hey Dominick, don't you have a 49 with the dual lever?  One to put into free spool and the other to release the dog (handle still engaged).  It's similar to that.
I do, but it came serviced so I did not go into it.  Maybe, I'll take it apart just for fun.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

George4741

Thank you for the praise, guys.  It's small stuff when compared to the improvements some of you guys do on Penns.  But it is fun to improve upon, and extend the life of the fine old Penns.  And I enjoy reading everyone's writings.

Lee, thank you for the asbestos warning.  I know better but somehow forgot about the danger. :-[  I guess we can assume they are asbestos. 

George
viurem lliures o morirem

Jimmer

A stepped sheet metal drill works good to enlarge the center hole in a drag washer and makes way less dust. You can get them cheap on sale at harbor freight. They are self centering, I premark the depth/ dia. on the bit with a red sharpie. I like to cut outside when possible with a shop vac in the blow mode taking out the dust.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Bryan Young

I do the same as Jimmers to start then finish up with a dremel.  I like the drill press idea for finishing where I can concentrate on just holding the washers.

George4741

Allrightee, the asbestos danger disturbed me, so I found some precise diameter common metal washers in my junk drawer and sandwiched the drags between them.  Here is the edited photo.

I realize that this may not work for many sizes of carbon fiber drags, but it works in this application and is one more way to "skin the cat".  Apologies to cat lovers. ;D

viurem lliures o morirem

redsetta

Nice job George.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

theswimmer

I did this upgrade over the weekend while servicing one of Grandpas 349h Mariners.
Followed your instructions and while I have not fished it,  the water bucket test gives me a drag # of about 15-16 lbs.
Right on target.
Thanks for sharing George.
I cant wait to try it fishing!
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn