Tool Maintenance for an Old Reliable Friend

Started by foakes, July 09, 2023, 11:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Sunday afternoon is a day to do a little puttering around the workshops.

Been meaning to replace this cord on a 25 year old Worm-Drive 77 Skilsaw.

It has been used hundreds of times for projects running from small honey-dos to major projects like building barns, garages, remodeling homes.  Even cutting concrete a few times.

I change out the blades whenever needed, use proper carbide blades for the material being cut, and keep the worm-drive greased.

Been meaning to replace the power cord —-

Could have taped this worn out one up —- but for an old reliable friend that has never let me down in 25 years —- and deserves better —- I ordered a new cord today.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Brendan

This is the fountain of youth for me. I do way less than I used to but when I need to do a bit, this is so much lighter.IMG_6889.jpeg
I haven't posted a picture in years, cordless saw. I still have my skillsaw from the early eighties.
Tight lines, Brendan.

ExcessiveAngler

Ha ha ha! I literally, just taped up the cord on my old 77 the other day lol!
Don't trust myself to put a cord on it, lol!
I'll stick with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" for the time being lol!
Does not get much used these days!
Yours looks much nicer and cleaner than mine!
Well, mine went through some serious wars, years ago!
Completely forgot I even had it still, until cleaning through the shed the other day lol!
Should've saw it before I cleaned it up a bit, lol!

Finest Kind

Fred, the photos of that Skilsaw really brought back memories. I borrowed one to rebuild my first workboat, an 18' glass over wood skiff. Went to a local sawmill and picked up a lot of 2x4 and 2x6 white oak. The quality and balance of that saw enabled an inexperienced kid to do some excellent boat carpentry. I've never used another circular saw that could compare.
John

foakes

Ha ha ha! I literally, just taped up the cord on my old 77 the other day lol!
Don't trust myself to put a cord on it, lol!
I'll stick with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" for the time being lol!

Not much to replacing the cord —- honestly, just $20 with tax, free shipping —- maybe a 10 minute job.

15 screws —- 2 Torx sizes + 3 Phillips.

Maybe a set of brushes, Skil grease, a new carbide blade, clean it up, clean with a wire wheel any of the adjustment cam lever threads, oil them —- and that's about it.

Tape is fine, and I see many Pro carpenters doing tape after an apprentice cuts through the cord with the saw.

But new is better on the cord.

The cord I bought is a heavier gauge —- the wires are color coded for ground, neutral, and hot.  (Green, white, black).  Just don't remove the cord until you have the new cord and can match the colors to the lugs.

If the saw is not functional —- it is not only ineffective and possibly inaccurate —- but can be dangerous, as well.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Hell, I've got an all metal (no plastic anywhere) "77" from the mid '50s that still runs. It fires a little bit but will still cut a board. It's an early one with the round motor housing.  :D It's so old they no longer make replacement armature for it.  :(
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Bill B

Tool maintenance is a must.  After every job everything gets put back in its place, chainsaws get fluids topped off and sharpened, chisels get sharpened, brushes and rollers get cleaned or disposed of. 

Trying to do a task and finding you need to fix a tool is kind of like going to the bathroom and finding no toilet paper.

My father in law used to laugh at me, every time he would stop by I was fixing, sharpening, or cleaning something.  But he was envious, a professional cabinet maker with his own business, and always said he wished he had the time to do it.

I have to say I love my 77, I could sling it all day when I was younger.  Now I look at it and my back hurts 🤣. It also has to be the most dangerous tool on any job site.  Just ask all the retired carpenters with 8 fingers and a whole railroad track system of scars running up their legs.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Bill B on July 10, 2023, 05:29:54 PMI have to say I love my 77, I could sling it all day when I was younger...........It also has to be the most dangerous tool on any job site.  Just ask all the retired carpenters with 8 fingers and a whole railroad track system of scars running up their legs.  Bill

The main culprit of missing fingers and scars from a worm driven circular saw is lackadaisicalness and loss of focus. Been a carpenter for over 60 years and have never seen a saw bite someone that was focused and paying attention to what they were doing.  ;) 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on July 10, 2023, 06:20:24 PM
Quote from: Bill B on July 10, 2023, 05:29:54 PMI have to say I love my 77, I could sling it all day when I was younger...........It also has to be the most dangerous tool on any job site.  Just ask all the retired carpenters with 8 fingers and a whole railroad track system of scars running up their legs.  Bill

Yep, well said, Bill & Tom —-

Always pay attention to what "could occur", be ready.

Also, don't force a saw with the wrong blade, or worse yet —- a dull blade.  Use a sharp blade of the proper type for the job at hand —- let the saw do the work.

Understand all of the adjustments and techniques before using the saw.  When making depth or angle adjustments —- know your cam lock controls, bed angle, and always keep the saw UNPLUGGED when making changes.

Use eye protection —- and keep the cord behind the saw with plenty of slack so that the plug or cord doesn't get hung up.

The saw is heavy for a reason —- let it do its job.

On chainsaws —- make sure the chain is tight on the bar, the teeth are razor sharp —- the chips coming out of the cut are large (not sawdust) —- and let the weight and power of the chainsaw do it's job —- don't force it.  Plus, always use the chain brake —- don't make exceptions.  "Listening" to the saw is important in knowing your equipment.

Best, Fred

The main culprit of missing fingers and scars from a worm driven circular saw is lackadaisicalness and loss of focus. Been a carpenter for over 60 years and have never seen a saw bite someone that was focused and paying attention to what they were doing.  ;) 

--------

Fred O.

ExcessiveAngler

After looking at Fred's saw again, without gawking at his super clean, organized shop!
Looks like they had different iterations of the 77, throughout the years!
My saw is a framing saw, probably weighs close to or over 12 pounds, after grabbing it again! Grabbed a 10 pd steel free weight plate that I have here, definitely a big difference in them!
I had, two other brand new ones about 15 years ago and sold them off foolishly, not knowing what I really had at the time!

foakes

Cord came in the mail today.

It is a heavier duty than the original.

Decided to do a full service on the old HD77.

Cleaned inside every crevice, nook, and cranny where sawdust, oil, crud, and caked on junk gathers.  Used a HD degreaser, wire brushes, old screwdriver, and compressed air.

Installed a new carbide blade, new pair of brushes, filled the oil reservoir, and installed the new cord.

Tested all functions —- perfect, smooth, and back on the rack.

Ready to go anytime needed.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

ExcessiveAngler

Here's a little kicker lol!
I put my 77 saw, up on FB marketplace!
Can't get a bite on it for $25 lol!
Thought for sure, it would sell right away!
But nope! Not a nibble, or single reply lol!

foakes

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on July 31, 2023, 06:34:36 PMHere's a little kicker lol!
I put my 77 saw, up on FB marketplace!
Can't get a bite on it for $25 lol!
Thought for sure, it would sell right away!
But nope! Not a nibble, or single reply lol!

Blow it off, clean it up, test it out —- put it on CL for $85, OBO. 

Folks are weird.  If something is priced too cheap —- they won't buy it because they figure something is wrong.

Just raise the price and take good photos to post.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

ExcessiveAngler

Well, if I go and clean it all up!
You know what's going to happen then lol?
Then, I won't want to sell it again lol!
I had a feeling, if I put it up too cheap that might happen, just wanted it to go to somebody that would use it!

foakes

Seems like folks on CL, or other venues, expect to pay about half of the asking price.

So if you price it at, say —- $90.  You will likely sell it for $50, or more.

Just blow it off, test it, and wipe it down.

You will be surprised.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.