Stuck Parts Assistance

Started by irbjd, July 10, 2023, 02:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irbjd

I am cleaning a poorly maintained reel for a friend.  I've encountered two issues with stuck parts that I was not able to resolve by running the reel through my ultrasonic three times.  So, I am turning to the brain trust for assistance.  First, the roller clutch tube is stuck to the drive shaft.  The second issue is the ARB is stuck in the side plate.  Any thoughts on how to get them free are much appreciated.

JasonGotaProblem

What kind of reel? The answers to your questions likely depend on knowing that.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

irbjd

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on July 10, 2023, 02:22:24 PMWhat kind of reel? The answers to your questions likely depend on knowing that.

Lew's Custom Lite

JasonGotaProblem

So, small baitcaster?

Many of these ARB are pressed or molded into the side plate.

Looking at the schematic (attached) it looks like it's likely pressed in from the inside. So it would have to be pressed out. You may do better to try to flush it in place.

The shaft vs ARB sleeve would likely benefit from a soak with some PB blaster. I've been known to take a dollar store electric toothbrush and leave it on with the stuck and PB-soaked parts in contact. After an hour the battery may be toast but it'll likely break free.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Keta

A bit of heat on the tube and you will have to press the AR bearing out.  I have  used a hydraulic press and 2 sockets, a small one to push out the bearing and a larger one to back up the sideplate.   You can use a C clamp for the press or gently tap the small socket with a hammer.

I built 2 sizes of  tool for this I use now.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

irbjd

Thank you for the suggestions.  Much appreciated.

foakes

As usual, Lee (Keta) is always accurate with the best solutions —-

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.