Broken Screw Okuma Andros 5IIa

Started by Drisse, July 10, 2023, 05:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drisse

Hi!
I got this Okuma Andros 5IIa in for service. Under the cap for the two speed button there's two screws. The head on one of them is messed up. The screws are also loctited. Does anyone know how it looks under the screw? I guess if i drill of the head, I will be able to give it a go with a plier?

Hardy Boy

They are bad for that as they are not greased. Can you cut a slot in it with a dremel.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

mackereljoe

I just got done drilling one out of Cavalla 12, that blue loctite sucks.  I had to get the smallest screw extractor and just kept drilling till the head snap. Was able to use a pliers to twist off the other half.

foakes

Hi Drisse —-

I would just cut a slot with a Dremel —- then using a large handled hollow ground screwdriver —- try to back it out.

Anytime there is even 1/16" standing proud on a stripped or broken off screw head —- these slip-joint extractor pliers do an amazing job.  Saves a lot of time and potential collateral damage.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Drisse

Mackereljoe. Japp, it often sucks with loctite combined with poor quality screws with for an example phillips head. Good job there.

When you cut the screwhead and got of the 2-speed part. Was there enough threads so you could grab the screw with a plier?

Drisse

Foakes, thanks. I had the Dremel in mind. What do you cut the slot with to make the least damage outside the screwhead ? The standard small cutting discs ? That plier looks great !

foakes

Yes, the smaller the disc —- the better.

If careful, there will be little damage to the surrounding material.  Then afterwards just a touch up with a Sharpie or a paint pen.

Good luck, Sir!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill B

It looks like the housing is plastic, but if you are going to replace it, heat the screw with a very hot soldering iron first to loosen the locktite. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Drisse

Bill B, thanks. Will use the soldering iron.

Drisse

Drilled the little sucker and it went well so far  :D

Brewcrafter

Only worth it if it happens a lot - reverse rotation drill bits.  Sometimes, you get lucky....- john

mackereljoe

Once the screw head was remove plenty of screw stem to just pliers and twist. Housing got a little dinged because of unsteady hands in the solder iron then it didn't even work.  Got pissed and just drilled out and it worked.  Then replaced it with another cheap screw but no loctite. No wonder Alan says if you're going to service the reel dont use loctite.