Another Squidder 140

Started by Flat Top, July 13, 2023, 09:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flat Top

Just received my 2nd Squidder 140 today...It has the Newell kit: Spool, support posts, reel base, knob, and speed clamp.

The reel has an interesting story behind it. The fella who first bought the reel new had used it to fish Montauk and beaches along the northeastern coast. He was a reel repairman for a local shop up there and I can tell because this reel was very well taken care of....it is near perfect....must have been his pride and joy. He eventually left it to his son who used it for the same purpose from the north east coast beaches to the Outer Banks. Evidently his son was a chip off the old block because he continued to care for the reel the way his dad did. I bought the reel from his son. There is absolutely no salt water corrosion anywhere on the reel...and the interior of the reel is as pristine as the exterior....even though the reel was only used in the salt. I thought my first Squidder (OEM) was real find....like new.....but this new acquisition, although well used was taken care of to the extreme.

I really prefer the classic looks of the original design Penn reels but these Newell kitted reels are supposed to be an upgrade, so I will probably fish this Newell kitted reel and just put my Oem reel on the shelf and admire it from time to time. I fish all my Penn reels, so if I shelve my OEM Penn Squidder, does that make me a "collector".....LOL!!!!
Overkill....is way underrated.

ExcessiveAngler

Very nice! Makes it even better, when there is some history to go along with a nice reel!
No pictures?

Well, my big score the other day, ran into a little hiccup, with my first 140 L, that I just picked up!
Didn't even notice, has a bent, left inner side ring, and a couple post are bent!
So, I see why a lot of them get upgraded!
Not sure how it happened, but they do not look that easy to bend to me lol!

Flat Top

ExcessiveAngler; I would post pictures if I could figure out how to do so...I am not computer literate. On most forums its pretty simple but I cannot figure this one out.

Anything can be fixed. I have bought "parts reels" and restored them to like new condition and use them to this day...so dont give up on it! I believe I saw some Squidder side plates and support posts on Ebay just the other day...and Newell support posts too....check it out.

I will try to get some pictues up on here....it would be nice to be able to post them!

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: Flat Top on July 14, 2023, 03:05:39 AMExcessiveAngler; I would post pictures if I could figure out how to do so...I am not computer literate. On most forums its pretty simple but I cannot figure this one out.

Anything can be fixed. I have bought "parts reels" and restored them to like new condition and use them to this day...so dont give up on it! I believe I saw some Squidder side plates and support posts on Ebay just the other day...and Newell support posts too....check it out.

I will try to get some pictues up on here....it would be nice to be able to post them!
What are you viewing this form with?
I'm using an iPhone!
I can post pictures, but cannot do it, in private messages lol for some reason?

Flat Top

Viewing the forum with a PC.

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: Flat Top on July 14, 2023, 05:52:22 PMViewing the forum with a PC.
Sorry brother, I can't help you with that one my friend, hate computers lol!
And I don't know a lot about computers lol!
I used a tablet for a while, and then been using iPhone since!
Much easier, using the phone, at least fir me anyway!
Thanks for the heads up on the parts,I don't know what I'm doing yet?
I'm thinking, I'm going to build 2, 146L Cortez conversion reels!
I guess, it depends, on what I bump into as well parts wise!
I have some Mag Power reels 970,980,990!
I didn't realize they were considered somewhat beefed up already!
According to Thorhammer, they are really strong, stock, out-of-the-box!
As much as I like them, they just aren't that pretty blue color, I love so much, that I see on a lot of these modified Cortez reels!

Flat Top

thats ok! One thing I have found over the years is the Penn reels do a phenomenal job as is. I have never had a Penn reel fail me yet in both salt and freshwater. Even if you never get upgrades your Penn reels will always perform and never let you down...if you keep up your end of the deal and maintain them properly.

Flat Top

1980-01-01 00.00.50.jpg1980-01-01 00.00.56.jpg

Flat Top

Well I finally got some photos to load here....double loaded, but I am getting there. Anyway, my OEM Squidder and the Newell kit Squidder.

I also made some Nylon casting brakes for both the Squidders and if anyone is interested in that I will try to post photos.

ExcessiveAngler

There you go lol!
Well, you know the old motto?
I'd rather be double stuffed, than under stuffed lol!
Did you get them like that or have you cleaned them up already?

Flat Top

ExcessiveAngler; "Double stuffed than understuffed"... that right there is funny! Next time wifey asks me why I am going back for seconds, I will have a good reply!

Actually both reels came in very clean. I have gone through the OEM 140 already...completely cleaned, serviced and installed carbontex drags, and the Newell kitted 140 is apart on the work bench now and will order carbontex drags for that one on Monday. What amazed me is that neither reel had a speck of salt water corrosion...the OEM was from California, and the Newell 140 was from New England so I expected some corrosion. Whoever owned these reels before I bought them kept them in excellent condition. I have not been so lucky with other purchases I have made over the years but for the most part even those reels are not an embarrassment to show off.....they cleaned up nicely.

Finest Kind

Those are a couple of nice reels Flat Top. It's great to know the reels history. I noticed that it looks like you have a Jigmaster handle 24-66 on the post reel and a 24S-310 handle on the Newell kit. Curious to know which you like better. I have both on squidders and surfmasters and I go back and forth as to which I like better. The only handle I don't like is the one it originally came with 24-155. Tiny little knob. I fished mine stock for many years. You kind of get used to your hand slipping off at the worse possible time, but I wouldn't recommend it. Also curious if the free spool is better on the Newell kit.
John

Flat Top

Finest Kind; Thanks.....sometimes I get lucky.

As far as the handles are concerned, I am so used to the original torpedo style handles/knobs that I cant make a judgement on which is the best. I guess I will find out as time goes on because I have used only the originals. Many fisherman are very particular about their equipment or reel set ups, but I am not one of those fisherman. OEM Penn reels have served me so well for so long. I got my first Penn from my grandpa, he bought it used...it was a model 80 I believe....but dont quote me on that...I am 75 years old and the old brain aint what it used to be....but I do remember it was for my 15th birthday in 1963.

Both handles are stamped 24-155...maybe you can tell me about the knobs. I know one is original (torpedo) but the "T" knob I know nothing about. Was it from a later model Squidder?

Yes, the free spool is better with the Newell spool...probably due to the lighter weight....but, the OEM squidder casts like a dream with the plastic spool. I have yet to try the aluminum spool on that one.

Finest Kind

My mistake Flat Top. The handle on the post reel looks bigger than a standard handle. I guess it's just the photo.That's why I thought it was a Jigmaster handle, which is just an upsized version of the standard Squidder handle. Same torpedo shape though. The flat knob handle is also one of my favorites. I think Penn has put it on different blades for different reels. I have it as aftermarket on Surfmaster, Squidder, and also OEM 965 International bait caster. I probably have too many spare parts floating around so I'm always changing things up to try to make the 'ultimate reel'! You might be better off not trying to second guess Penn!
John

Flat Top

Finest Kind; Thats what I like about this forum....I learn something every day! The "T" knob looks to be "riveted" as Penn did with all their factory knobs so I would say you are correct on that. When I saw this Newell kitted reel for sale, and after I read about the upgraded Squidders on here I decided to give it a go. It aint no Tiburon upgrade for sure, but it will be interesting to play with.