Grasshoppers, Millions and Millions of Grasshoppers

Started by Crab Pot, July 14, 2023, 01:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

I work at an Air Force base here in Kalifornia and every July early August we get inundated with Grasshoppers.

So bad they coast the roads.

I took these today at my construction site.

You cannot take a step without 20-40 of them jumping.

Whan I was younger I use to Crappie fish all the time and the local bait shop sold live crickets for $6.00 a dozen.

I think I found my get rich quick scheme!

(which didn't work so well on my Crab/Shrimp davit holder get rich quick idea)
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Midway Tommy

I never, ever, caught a fish when using a grasshopper for bait.  :-\
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Crab Pot

They are deadly when active on the still surface if the Crappie & Bass are around.

Not so much once dead.

On moving water it doesn't matter live or dead, everything eats them.

Trout especially.

MarkT

While I was never a pro cricket flipper, I've caught a lot of fish on crickets and grasshoppers in the creeks when I was a kid.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

philaroman

that's land-krill
must be a way to turn it into locust meal/paste
for petfood, dip-bait, dough-bait, etc. 

foakes

Whether it is small back-country high altitude lakes, mid-altitude to lower altitude reservoirs, pond, creek, river, farm pond, or rock quarry pond —- in 55 years —- I have seldom cast a cricket or grasshopper on the surface of the water without getting a bite or at least some serious fish interest.

Some nice trout, nice smallmouths, crappie, bluegill.

Great bait.

When we were mostly in the backcountry of Utah & Nevada in May —- there were tons of grasshoppers everywhere.

Must be the year for them.

Glad they are not locusts.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

David Hall

That was my primary bait as a kid fishing high sierra creeks. hooked the biggest brown trout of my life on one. unfortunatly I was unable to land it.

El Pescador

NOTHING twitches like a Grasshopper on water!  NOTHING.

David, how is your hand???

Like you, I caught a 17" Rainbow in an agriculture canal, draining into Markleeville Creek, upstream of Markleeville, CA.

Hooked a local caught, heavy for its size Grasshopper, on a #12 snelled Eagle Claw bait hook,

drifted it near a dark undercut, and WHAM, FISH ON!!!

Garden Hackle (Earthworms) or Grasshoppers, they work best.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Midway Tommy

Hmmm?.....I guess I must not have been holding my mouth quite right ;)  Results were so bad with hoppers I opted to go dig in horse & cow poop piles for worms rather than use hoppers!  😅
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jtwill98

Tommy, you're not alone.  I never even had a single nibble on a live grasshopper.  So we're both holding our jaws wrong when fishing. 

Keta

Try to get a contract for non chemical removal, buy 10,000 guinne hens, and sell the birds at the end of the grasshopper season.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Crab Pot

Quote from: Keta on July 14, 2023, 05:17:26 PMTry to get a contract for non chemical removal, buy 10,000 guinne hens, and sell the birds at the end of the grasshopper season.

Ha! The Airfield Manager would just love having 10,00 Genee Hens all over his airfield!

I know there wouldn't be any grasshoppers left though. I have a buddy that has three and there isn't a spider, bug, snake, lizard, or worm on his property.