Unrestricted Depth Rock Cod Opener Bodega Bay

Started by Crab Pot, July 18, 2023, 03:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

Got an invite from my buddy "Rock Cod Todd" saying he had an open seat for the opener on his boat so naturally I jumped on it.

First stop was Bodega Bay Bait and Tackle, which is a fully stocked awesome bait shop in Petaluma.

Picked up some shrimp rigs and bent the guys ear on Bluefin reports.

He said the BF fishing had slowed down but the guys who were getting them were getting quality grade fish.

I'm going next week so look for my report then.

Once we got to the ramp we were pretty disappointed at the amount of wind and knew it would be a bumpy ride to Point Reyes.

On the way out we passed the New Sea Angler charter boat about 5 miles south of Bodega Head heading where we were going. It was nice to be in front of Capt. Powers because he had a full charter and there are limited places to legally fish off the Point.

Once on spot the swells increased in size and the four of us were getting thrown around pretty good. I had visions of rods snapping or even worse someone getting hurt.

Fished 130-180 feet with minimal success. We were getting tossed about really bad and I suggested we go inside till it blew over.

Elephant and Bird Rocks starting producing in about 80 feet but nothing to brag about.

Decided to head back out to deeper water and hopefully better quality fish but it was more of the same. I did get a nice Vermillion, about 7 pounds, and Todd got a nice Copper about the same size. Those ended up being the big fish of the day.

Not a single Ling was caught.

We had our 40 fish in the box and all the sudden the sun came through the fog and the wind stopped. We had tray baits and Halibut rigs so off to the mouth of Tomales Bay we went. Had some short strikes and some raked baits but never had a hook up.

It was a 109 degrees at home, we had a high of 65 on the water so it was a dual purpose trip.

For an opener it disappointed but it beat melting back home. 
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

steelfish

I got seaksick just for reading the report  :P

The Baja Guy

Donnyboat

Thanks Mr Pot, nice report, for us on the other side of the world, the veriaction of fish is interesting, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Hardy Boy

Nice job. My only criticism is that you should switch out the Coors for a good BJ's IPA.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Crab Pot

Quote from: steelfish on July 19, 2023, 04:00:03 PMI got seaksick just for reading the report  :P

Alex,

It was rough but no one got sick.

However I have a nice burse on my hip when a sneaky roller got us.

And I'm sure John's #### is a bit sore as well. He went down a few times. 

Quote from: Hardy Boy on July 19, 2023, 04:26:19 PMNice job. My only criticism is that you should switch out the Coors for a good BJ's IPA.

Todd,

Trust me I'm a craft brew IPA guy but I was out there all day and needed to drive home!

Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Brewcrafter

Given the weather, a Hopstorm would have been somewhat apropos.  While no lizards, glad you got a decent load, no major injuries and no broken/lost tackle (nothing like getting tossed into the rail while holding a rod, and ending up with a custom "two-piece") - john