Can I unseal my sealed bearing in my Abu 5600C4? to tune up?

Started by pointbob, July 19, 2023, 02:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Like Cor said, there are those good quality ball bearings where the shields are impossible(for me anyway) to remove without prolly damaging them. Then you could maybe use Jason's method. Seems lately I've come across a few spinner-pinion/rotor bearings like that.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

philaroman

had fairly reliable baitcaster self-service guys swear by MEK
as soaking solvent for double-shielded spool bearings, shields-on
nasty stuff -- play outside!!! (if you can even buy it in your State)
1st soak/shake will run black...  repeat until solvent color unchanged
I've done same w/ acetone, though slower & less effective
glass jars w/ cork stoppers, so no worry which -ketone eats which plastic lid/liner

pointbob

Quote from: philaroman on July 22, 2023, 01:55:27 AMhad fairly reliable baitcaster self-service guys swear by MEK
glass jars w/ cork stoppers, so no worry which -ketone eats which plastic lid/liner

so you are saying that a fully sealed bearing like the one in the abu 5600c4 can be cleaned out of all oils and gunk just by sitting in a solvent?

and then place it in synthetic oil after and it will be re-lubed?

thats it?
Patience comes to those who wait

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: pointbob on July 23, 2023, 09:36:09 PM
Quote from: philaroman on July 22, 2023, 01:55:27 AMhad fairly reliable baitcaster self-service guys swear by MEK

so you are saying that a fully sealed bearing like the one in the abu 5600c4 can be cleaned out of all oils and gunk just by sitting in a solvent?

and then place it in synthetic oil after and it will be re-lubed?

thats it?

If you go to post #5 in this thread, there's a link for Jason's method, and it looks like it works pretty darn well!
That's what I'll be trying next!

philaroman

works, SOMETIMES...  if not, THEN pull the shields off

NOTE: not sealed -- double-shielded
shielded = metal cover to keep debris out
sealed = rubber/synthetic external gasket to keep liquids out/in

pointbob

Quote from: philaroman on July 23, 2023, 10:07:49 PMworks, SOMETIMES...  if not, THEN pull the shields off

you are correct of course; the abu 5600c4 bearings are shielded both sides and no obvious way to take off. it looks tight lol...i'll likely bight the bullet and pry it open with a fish hook...

it'll be good practice when i get a 5600 ultra cast that has bizarro odd bearings that are not made anymore and also fully shielded....i really want one them ultra cast beasties.

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: pointbob on July 24, 2023, 12:45:17 AM
Quote from: philaroman on July 23, 2023, 10:07:49 PMworks, SOMETIMES...  if not, THEN pull the shields off

you are correct of course; the abu 5600c4 bearings are shielded both sides and no obvious way to take off. it looks tight lol...i'll likely bight the bullet and pry it open with a fish hook...

it'll be good practice when i get a 5600 ultra cast that has bizarro odd bearings that are not made anymore and also fully shielded....i really want one them ultra cast beasties.

What Abu Garcias can't you get bearings for?
I've never heard that before!

JasonGotaProblem

Are you sure the previous owner didn't improvise with some bizarre alternative bearing? An old 5600 would either be 3x10x4 or 4x10x4 which is plenty common.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on July 24, 2023, 09:24:18 PMAre you sure the previous owner didn't improvise with some bizarre alternative bearing? An old 5600 would either be 3x10x4 or 4x10x4 which is plenty common.
There's also Abu spool bearings that are 3.2 mm. as well!

pointbob

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on July 24, 2023, 08:45:13 PM
Quote from: pointbob on July 24, 2023, 12:45:17 AM

What Abu Garcias can't you get bearings for?
I've never heard that before!

maybe i misunderstood this utube vid on the 4600 ultra cast but it seemed like an odd size one. it's the uc i meant as being hard to find bearing...not the 5600C....the uc series was very very different.

ExcessiveAngler

Haven't seen this design before!
Thing is built, like a brick crap house lol!
Pretty sure, if you can get to the bearings, they can be measured and should, be able to be matched up!

JasonGotaProblem

The UC spools took a 4x10x4 bearing, save for a few that took a 3x10x4.

Sometimes people do weird things in reels. I found spherical bearings in an old 5000C once. Quality ones at that. Those spools don't see a lot of lateral force. There's no reason for spherical bearings there. But that's what the prior owner had on hand I guess. 
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

ExcessiveAngler

I got a better idea!
How bout',you take a picture of your reel and post it so, we know what reel , we're reelly(lol)talking about here lol!
I have a 4600 AL Magtrax, and a few others that look like they use the UC design, but definitely don't have the bearings fixed to the spool shaft!
Gonna have to watch that video again!

kevin cozens

i would just replace them. they are not expensive.
If you have rubber seals just use a large fishing hook.
The seal comes out very easy. depending on availability
you can even buy replacement seals

Bryan Young

For metal sealed bearing, I've placed them on a cone tightly then placed in a container of acetone then spin the bearing at 1000 rpms which flushed out of the grease and dirt that may be in the bearing as well as polished the bearing itself. Then let air dry then oiled with TSI321.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D