Can I unseal my sealed bearing in my Abu 5600C4? to tune up?

Started by pointbob, July 19, 2023, 02:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pointbob

Hey all

So I noticed my abu 5600C4 was a little rough and wanted to oil the bearings. But when I opened up the spool bearings they appear totally sealed. How do I get cleaner and eventually oil in there when they are sealed? I could not locate a little wire or anything to remove the seal.

What can I do? I don't really want to buy new ones as I used to be able to refurbish the bearings in this manner with my older abus which were unsealed.

Thanks
Patience comes to those who wait

redsetta

Hi Bob,
Alan's post here may be of some assistance - https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13.0.
"...to remove a metal shield that is pressed into the bearing, you need another specialized tool.  this is an old screwdriver that I've ground to a nice long point.  drive the point in between the shield and the inner race, the pry up the shield.  it will be mangled at this point and will have to be discarded.  this takes a light touch.  drive the point in to far and you will mangle the cage and ruin the bearings."
Let us know how you get on.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

borntofish

I have never opened the seal on bearings. I recall seeing a bulletin (from Abec I think), that said it was unnecessary.

Cor

Just a comment from far, I have opened sealed bearings, some successfully but a fair percentage not.   Unfortunately the ones that you have a problem with are usually the good ones that are still serviceable, this is just Murphy's law. >:(

You need a good sharp and manageable tool to avoid wrecking the cage inside the bearing shield.  If the bearing feels bad then by all means open it, not too much to lose and as you say, you can often give them another lease on life.

Cornelis

JasonGotaProblem

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

pointbob

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on July 19, 2023, 11:31:20 AMOr you could use my method and skip opening them.
https://youtube.com/shorts/pFAJlALoN8U?feature=share4
so the turkey baster tip is positioned in the hole of the bearing and pushing water out the sides? what is the liquid?

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: pointbob on July 19, 2023, 01:04:05 PM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on July 19, 2023, 11:31:20 AMOr you could use my method and skip opening them.
https://youtube.com/shorts/pFAJlALoN8U?feature=share4
so the turkey baster tip is positioned in the hole of the bearing and pushing water out the sides? what is the liquid?
It's pushing the solvent through the bearing because the outer race sits against the curved bottom of the shot glass and the dropper sits against the inner race at the top of the bearing so path of least resistance is through the part we wish to clean out. Twisting the dropper to make the bearing spin then repeating is a good idea. With no shields the bearing is clean in 5 seconds. With shields in place I always run it back and forth for a good 30 seconds (aka repeatedly squeeze and release the bulb), wait a minute or so to let it soak, then repeat.

I use charcoal lighter fluid then alcohol, use compressed air or let it sit to dry a bit then come back with some oil.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Hardy Boy

yes you can open them and clean them. If they are really rough just replace them. metal shields have a small clip you need to remove or if rubber just pry off. PM if you want more info.

Todd

pointbob

Quote from: Hardy Boy on July 19, 2023, 03:49:08 PMyes you can open them and clean them. If they are really rough just replace them. metal shields have a small clip you need to remove or if rubber just pry off. PM if you want more info.

thank you. I'm actually in van bc

Swami805

I use a sharp skinny fish hook and a mini vice grips to hold the bearing. Half the battle is getting a good grip on the bearing.  I've ruined very few doing it. I use carburetor cleaner in an aresoil can over a small Metal cup to catch the run off. Do it outside though, it's stinky
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Brewcrafter

One key item not mentioned above: my goto's are the suitable fish hook, and a 10X magnifier to see what the heck I'm trying to do... :d  - john

ourford

I've had success soaking them overnight in PB Blaster and then blowing them out with compressed air (100 psi). If they feel good, soak them overnight in tsi 321 or corrosion x. If not, try the PB Blaster once more. Still rough, trash them.
Vic

Cor

Quote from: Brewcrafter on July 19, 2023, 10:35:46 PMOne key item not mentioned above: my goto's are the suitable fish hook, and a 10X magnifier to see what the heck I'm trying to do... :d  - john
Looks like only that I am missing the magnifier is what I am doing wrong.
Cornelis

foakes

My method is to remove the shields, use the ultrasonic cleaner with lacquer thinner in a jar to get them clean, lightly blow them out (don't spin the bearings with compressed air —- more damage can occur in 40 seconds of spinning a non-lubricated bearing —- than a lifetime of fishing).

After drying —- I drop the bearings in a small jar of synthetic oil —- complete the rest of the reel —- then when ready, remove the bearing from the oil, pat it dry with a paper towel —- add grease of choice —- depending on the reel and it's intended usage.

If there is any noise before lubricating —- and after cleaning —- the bearing just gets tossed in the trash and replaced with a new one.

I seldom re-install the shields —- if the bearing is greased properly —- it will perform well.

Best
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.