Quick 5001 brake parts

Started by Dart1835, July 19, 2023, 06:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dart1835

I am having problems with my reel, it seems I am missing a brake disc.  Any suggestions where i can get one or how to make one?

foakes

Quote from: Dart1835 on July 19, 2023, 06:56:03 PMI am having problems with my reel, it seems I am missing a brake disc.  Any suggestions where i can get one or how to make one?

Hi Dart, Welcome!

Which do you need?

There is one on the bottom, one on the top, plus a metal one on top.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dart1835

I took the reel out of the drawer and went to put new line on it and found that the reel would not wind the line., no drag.  Took it apart, and found there was not drag washer under the tension nut to the spool.  The drag washer on the spool seems to be glued on?  Looking at the parts schematic I think at a minimum the reel needs the front washer....but I am looking to use this reel to go to Baja on the 29 th July.  Help!??

I would appreciate any suggestions.  I tried a drag washer off a 0/9 penn senator and that was better but it is too small diameter.  I bought the reel new, only person using it was me and I don't remember ever taking it apart but I am 75 and have had it 45 years. 

foakes

Hi Dart —-

You can certainly find some material of the proper thickness (this is crucial to proper and even line lay) —- cut and form it, then glue it on the spool.

The DQ very large 5001 spinner is very unique in its drag system (way ahead of its time).

There were (2) versions of drags on these spools.

Cork on top and underneath —- plus a steel disc.

This system squeezes the drag components from both top and bottom —- evenly, strongly, and efficiently.

These are large discs.

A later version had (2) discs also —- but they were of an even tougher material similar to brake pads on a vehicle.

I can send you (2) cork drags & a metal disc for $10 + $5 shipping today.

Or, if you prefer and want to be sure before heading out on your trip to Baja —- I can send you a new metal skirted 5001 latest generation spool that already has the HD brake discs glued in place.  This would be $45 + $5 shipping.

If you want to do either of these options —- I will send out today —- and we will do the payment later.  So that you can have the parts before your trip.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dart1835

I will take the drag washers version.  What part of central valley do you reside, I am @ Coarsegold.

How do I pay for this kindness?

Dart1835

When i get these items, do I glue these cork washers to either side of the metal washer?  I have a metal washer in the front assembly, but it doesn't have any cork, the back side of the spool drag exists, it is hard not like i would imagine cork to be.  The reel now works, ?.. so could it have come without the front disc from the factory, or is the metal disc a drag in itself?  I have taken all my "DQ" reels apart and none of them have this system.

foakes

Just send me a PM (private message) with your full name and mailing address.

We will work out the payment a little later —- main thing is to get the parts to you so that you can install and test your reel before heading to Baja.

We live just below Shaver Lake, not far from you.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

Quote from: Dart1835 on July 20, 2023, 06:43:44 PMWhen i get these items, do I glue these cork washers to either side of the metal washer?  I have a metal washer in the front assembly, but it doesn't have any cork, the back side of the spool drag exists, it is hard not like i would imagine cork to be.  The reel now works, ?.. so could it have come without the front disc from the factory, or is the metal disc a drag in itself?  I have taken all my "DQ" reels apart and none of them have this system.

Just glue the drag directly to the top and bottom of your spool —- then the metal disc goes over the top drag disc —- then just screw on the drag knob.

I am fairly sure that the reel did not come from the factory without a drag disc on top.  So I can't have any way to know what might have happened to it in 45 years.

Have a great trip!

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Dart1835

Ok, so how do I send a private message,  this is my first attempt at this.

foakes

Click on my user name —- a screen will come up with an option to the left that states : SEND PM

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.